-28-

I didn't enjoy my forced relaxation time, days were passing and I wasn't permitted to do anything to force my body.

At least I could leave my room which was a welcome change after one week of being cooped up and I liked to spent time in the garden or watching people train.

I got to admit despite it not being how I planned to train the shadows Melore was giving them a run for their money.... But she was going easy on them, none realize a shadow is pushing the person to the extreme, unfortunately they were already adult or young adults while I started from the youngest age, you are born into the shadow knight, you don't join nor train to join.... You are just born into it.

It will be a costly endeavor if they break and cannot keep up.

"Lady shadow, how long do we need to do this?" I stopped conversing with Melore and looked at Karem, their assignment was simple, holding a water filled bucket in each hand with their arm held up by their side until they can put it down.

"Karem was it?" I asked stepping close to him.

"Yes lady shadow." His arms were shaking but it wasn't long since they started.

"Then Karem.... You will all be holding them until sunset."

"B-but." Edamon said in surprise.

"You want to complain? Then until the night guard's come out, is that better?" They remained silent. "Good, you catch on fast, do not question my training methods, when I was half.... No a third of your age Karem, I was already doing this exercise with lead scrap filled buckets, yours have water in them... Why you are doing this? A shadow is the strongest asset to own and few pass the training, I don't have the time to train you all like I had been so you either hold these buckets to strengthen your arms or drop and do push ups until sunset."

I could see their shoulders were in pain, arms shaking, their face red from the strain.

"You four will be the shadows of the empire, you must be eternal, always lurking and never failing, prove to me that you are made for this."

"You have such a way of speaking." Melore said when I joined her side again.

"What can I say? So I was taught." 

"Neat, Elise made a great choice with you, I just know it, we'll finally be able to end this cold war and win."

"I appreciate the compliment.... Just... I wonder, what was that striped orange cat?"

"Oh that? It's called a tiger, native to the forests of my clan, they live in hot places."

"I come from a place where it is always cold, would have never had the chance of meeting one before."

"True, when will the other shadow you sent for arrive?"

"In three weeks, we took a month to cross the waters Sel and I and who knows what storm may delay them."

"And you are sure they will come?"

"Positive."

"Can I know who they are?"

"I don't want to mess up the surprise." I said with a smile, knowing she'd gossip. "All I can tell you is they are special."

"Come on tell me!"

"No can do."

"You are mean you know that?"

"And you don't behave like a queen most of the time."

----------------------------------------------

Time was passing slowly to me, days dragging on, one thing always in mind... That executioner had been there and saw what they did to my mother, she herself took her blade.... I will make her spit out all pieces of the truth before she dies by my hands.

Training in secret is what I did, lengthening the time to heal completely and the nurses couldn't understand why but I said nothing, I need to get into shape, get stronger for this executioner, I cannot be beaten again.

Dividing my time between my duties, training and sleeping to always get a bit of each in all days.

--------------------------------------------------

"You called for me?" I walked in the throne room.

"Well yes of course." Elise said, the rest already there and on their own thrones, I had already voiced I wouldn't want one, I am still a knight deep down.

"What can I do for you?"

"Well the empire has a great festival coming up soon, celebrating the first day humans arrived on this land, the whole empire, the two parts of them, celebrates." Else said.

"Those include food, organised fights, jousting and a lot of wines and beers ingested." Kia followed.

"And the empire rulers visiting again." Melore quickly added.

"So, we'll need to keep an eye out for your family again." I said and she nodded for Elise.

"Yes but also we'll need to visit as it would be an insult as tradition wants for family meeting before I too half of the empire for myself, can't risk war yet I must know it is really them that is trying to kill me or I'd be killing innocent that asked for nothing and might as well say goodbye to Solor's support in anything." Elise sighed, clearly annoyed by all this. "And there is something else."

"What is that?"

"Well your 'trial' period is up." Oh right I was supposed to say yes or no to being hers.

"Is there even questions to be asked now?" I asked.

"Only one.... Will you be mine?"

"Of course."

"Then, just to spite my family, I will have the marriage on the first day of the festival, they always avoided coming despite me being forced to invite them but they will be unable to refuse now and will be forced to witness what they've avoided." 

"So cruel." Rain joked, it did amuse me how she liked toying with her enemies, no one really knows of her true plans we just follow her words and trust in her.

"Melore said something about the second shadow knight? Why are they special?" Elise asked but I zipped my mouth and made the movement of closing a lock and throwing away the key.

"Trust me it is worth the surprise."

"Seems like the next month is filled with surprises for everyone."

"Sure seems so." I smiled.