If I Had a Taser, You'd Be On the Ground Spasming Right Now. (6)

"This is all your fault," I muttered, taking another book from Chris and shelving it. Katy, a senior and the librarian's assistant, momentarily glared at us from over her book, then buried herself back into the novel. She was supposed to watch us and make sure that we were shelving the books correctly.

Christian didn't answer me, but just stuck his tongue out. Then, his face went back into the love-sick dopey expression that made me want to scream. He could be hit by a car or shot right now, but he'd still have that look. It irritated me to no end.

We had taken out the history, non-fiction, and biography shelves. According to the clock on the wall, it was about seven o' clock. I had used the librarian's phone to call French and let him know where we were; he tended to freak out when I didn't come home before five.

A phone rang, releasing "I Can Hear the Bells" from Hairspray into the air. Not looking away from her book, Katy took the phone out of her pocket and flipped it open She brought it to her ear. "Hello?" Her voice was snotty and irritated me to no end.

She paused, and as I shelved another Martin Luther King Jr. book I heard the smile in her voice as she replied to the person on the other line. "I should be there in a few minutes, babe. Okay than. Bye."

She shut the phone and looked up from her book. "You two." The friendliness from her voice was completely gone. Christian and I turned to look at her.

"You can finish tomorrow." We were about halfway through.

Resisting the urge to run out the door screaming "FREE AT LAST, FREE AT LAST" at the top of my lungs, I stepped down from the mini ladder that I was standing on and grabbed my book bag from a table nearby. Chris followed, whistling with his hands in his pockets. 

I stopped for a moment, turning around to look at the senior. "Katy?" I asked in the sweetest, most suck up tone I could muster.

She looked at me, her eyes narrowing. "What is it?"

"Could I use your phone?"

She smiled at me, though her eyes were like lasers. "Sure. And then, we can burn down the school and drive to Mexico so that we won't get caught."

"Really?" Chris asked excitedly. "Cause' I'm expert fire starter! I'll have this bad boy burning down in no time! And then we can take your car, Katy! And maybe stop by and get your boyfriend! And...and..." He faltered.

Katy just stared at him. Finally, she threw her head back and laughed. Reaching into her pocket, she pulled her phone out and threw it to me. "Make it quick. I have a date."

Well, there are some uses for Christian's cluelessness. I dialed French's number. Paris baby sat on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays from five to eight, so she definitely couldn't pick us up. French picked up almost immediately.

"Hello?"

"French, I need you to come and pick us up."

"Are you still at the school?"

"Yep. Wait a second....French, is that classical music? Seriously?"

"I can explain. I'm on a date--"

Why did it seem like everyone was dating but me?

"--I'm going to send someone else to get you and Chris. Hold tight for a minute, okay?"

"Okay."

I heard a voice in the background. "Alright bye, be careful, love you, tell Chris he's in trouble." French hung up quickly.

~*~

"Hold tight for a minute," I mocked French's deep voice. "Whatever. We've been sitting out here for ages!"