Chapter 53

There are more people in the busier areas of WICKED, but it's still quite empty. I guess people aren't as fast to volunteer to work for them these days.

I'm getting more and more nervous. Thomas will have set the devices, and the plan is in motion. Soon the Right Arm will be able to break in. I need to go faster, but I keep having to hide in rooms to avoid people walking past.

Just as I'm contemplating my options, I can hear boots coming up a nearby hallway. It must be a guard. I slip into the closest office, closing the door quietly behind me.

Then I look up and see the head of WICKED, Ava Paige, sitting at the desk before me in the darkness.

I remember her from several points in my life. She was integral in WICKED, and while she didn't personally do much with me, she always was involved. Now she's in charge, and she's staring at me with calm eyes, their watery blue color showing in the faint light from the window set into the door.

It's terrifying, and I raise my knife. The guard is walking past, and if she calls for help I might not survive. The technology in their weapons hasn't been deactivated yet.

"You're lucky, you know," Paige says, and I shiver at her voice.

"What do you mean?"

"No one was watching the security cameras when you broke in. Well, besides me."

The guard is past us, possibly out of earshot.

"I wouldn't kill me," she adds in a calm, matter-of-fact tone. "If you do, I won't be able to help Thomas. I'm collecting some things for him that should help protect all of you."

"Why would you help us?" I spit, trying to hide my fear with venom.

"Because it's over," she snaps. "There is no cure. There is no hope, and they're going to keep killing Immunes until everyone is dead. It's time to cut our losses. We can't save the world from the Flare, but I can save you."

"What do you mean?"

"There's a flat-trans in a closet towards the north of the compound. It's the one beside a weapons storage room and near the conference room. I assume you know where?"

I nod numbly, still trying to process that she's helping us.

"You'll find it takes you somewhere safe. Get the Immunes, and get out of here. WICKED is over. I'll try to protect Thomas from them."

I hate her being on our side, but I can't refuse an ally, and she seems to be telling the truth. I sigh, and nod again.

"One more thing, Ashley," she says, sorting through a stack of papers.

"What?"

"Did Newt..." Her movements still as she trails off.

I clench my jaw. "Yeah."

She looks genuinely saddened when she replies. "I'm sorry."

"I hope you know I'll kill you if you don't protect Thomas."

"I wouldn't expect anything less from you, Payton." She gives me a sad smile.

I turn, and shove the door open, determined to end my assignment as soon as possible. Paige can burn for all I care. I have Immunes to rescue, to bring to the haven she created for us.

I set my feet towards the Maze and start sprinting.

World Gone Mad (TMR fic 3)On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara