Chapter 47

(one of the most gorgeous things I've ever heard, best cover~)

The next morning is cold and tense, the quiet crackling around us like ice about to shatter. I follow Gally up to the rooftop while everyone is preparing, and he teaches me how to smoke an old cigarette he found. The combination of fire and poison is what I needed to relax, and we dangle our legs over the edge of the roof.

"Why are you with the Right Arm?" I ask as he takes a drag from the cigarette and hands it back to me.

Gally shrugs. "They're going to stop them, at least. They aren't going to fix anything, but at least WICKED won't be able to hurt people anymore."

I exhale the smoke slowly. "Yeah."

There's something entirely revenge centered about the Right Arm, but I don't care.

I don't care about much of anything. Newt was always the one who was able to make me hope, trick me into caring. Even as the sun rises, the world is covered in thick grey clouds, ranging from a light tone that allows sunlight to pierce through to a deep color promising torrential rain.

It's a dreary day for a war to end.

The cigarette is gone far too quickly, and we sit for a few minutes in a contemplative silence before heading back down into the warehouse.

"Ash," Toby says, nodding at me as he jogs past me and out the door. "Good luck today."

I might die before I have a chance to see him again. He might die before then. My hands grow cold and still with my nervousness.

Zeke is holding Greenbean, and I cross to him.

"Hey Ash!" For the fact that he's probably going to die today, he's beautifully cheerful. Greenbean squeaks at him happily when he makes funny faces, and I try to memorize the way they look together. I wish I knew of a way to save Zeke.

The boy gives me a smile tinged with sadness. "I wanted to see him before I head out. I have to go pick up the Immunes, though, and help transport them to the Berg so they can fight with the rest of us."

"You're leaving, then?" I say, my voice squeaking a bit even though I try to keep it casual.

His smile grows, slightly teasing. "Yeah. Don't worry about me, Ash. It's going to be fine."

He hugs me with his arm that isn't holding Greenbean, and I cling to him. It's going to be fine. I hope he's right.

"Well," I say, forcing the emotion out of my tone, "see you around."

"Yeah. See you!" He hands me Greenbean, and I watch him jog over to a few Right Arm members that are waiting for him.

Naomi appears at my elbow.

"Please take care of him," I say, biting my lip as I try to memorize the way Greenbean feels in my arms.

She takes the child from me gently. "I will, Ash. He'll be safe, and as close as possible. If you need him, you can find him. I'll make sure Zeke knows where we're hiding, he's promised to help. He's quite fond of Beanie, too. You two are the unlikeliest parents, but I think you'll do fine."

"We're not like that," I mutter, still distracted with worry for my new charge.

"I know. But it's still sweet to see both of you care so much about him. Now get going, you have a mission to focus on."

"Yes, ma'am," I say, gently poking the Greenie's nose one last time and trying not to cry. If I die, who's there for him?