23.

I walked into the cafeteria, I easily spotted Kayla and Tyler sitting with Valerie and the others. Kayla waved, tried making me sit with them. I smiled and waved back, but instead I walked over to the table where Hayes sat.

I looked at his food and watched him eat the red apple.
"I like green apples better." I said, he chuckled and proceeded to take another bite.

"How's your brother?" He questioned, I shrugged and smiled.

"He's getting better, I removed everything with alcohol in the house. The last thing I want is for him to get addicted." I explained, Hayes nodded and looked down.

"You shouldn't be taking care of your older brother, Veronica it's not your job." Hayes clearly felt bad for me.

"Someone has to do it, right?"

"You should take him to professional help, that's what he needs, he's been taking a lot of drugs too. You need to take him to a psychiatric hospital." He told me, I shook my head.

"No way, no way he's leaving me." I shook my head even more, Hayes sighed and took my hand.

"I know it's hard for you—"

"If Vincent leaves, I will have no one, literally no fucking one. You know how my mom is." I whispered.

"Perhaps you do have." Hayes looked over at Kayla, I felt like I wanted to cry. I knew he was right, I couldn't make Vinnie recover from however he was feeling.

I covered my face with my hands as I broke down, feeling his arms around me.
"I know how much he means to you, but he needs more help than any of us can give him." He whispered, I nodded and wiped my tears away.

"Let's take a walk, yeah?" Hayes asked, I nodded and took his hand. It felt comforting having Hayes by my side, he was more like a brother to me now.

We started walking around the school together, I think our break up made the both of us realize that we were better off as friends.

"How am I going to do it, isn't my mother supposed to sign the papers as well?" I asked, Hayes sucked in a deep breath.

"Well, do you know how to fake it?"

I nodded.

"Then it's not going to be that much of a big problem." Hayes chuckled, I smiled and looked down.

"Thank you for always being like a brother to me. You were always around whenever anyone needed it." I told him, he instantly hugged me.

"You don't know how much that means to hear, thank you." He whispered, I hugged back and smiled to myself.

"I should get to class, text me if you need anything, alright?" Hayes said, I nodded and watched him walk away.

I walked back inside and looked over at Tyler and Kayla, I walked over to them and cleared my throat.

"Hey! I've missed you." She wrapped her arms around me tightly, I smiled and hugged her back.

"I missed you too." I said, meeting Tyler's cold eyes. Kayla pulled away and waited for me to say something.

"I need to ask you a big favour, and you don't need to say yes, okay?" I asked, she nodded and her smile wasn't on her pretty lips anymore.

"I'm going to get Vinnie hospitalized. Um, I don't really have anything to live off when he leaves and my mother isn't coming back so if social services finds out—"

"Of course you can stay at my house!" She yelled, I smiled and sighed in relief.

"Thank you, so much." I said, she kissed my cheek and gave me another hug.

"After school, you should go home and take everything you need. Mom and I will set the guest room up for you." She explained to me, I smiled and nodded.

"Thank you, once again."

"Don't thank me, I love you!"

After school I went back home, feeling sad and dizzy. I was most likely giving everything up here. I walked into the living room and sat down besides Vinnie.

"Vin, we need to talk." I whispered, he sat up. He didn't look well, he looked white as a corpse.

"I want to hospitalize you." I told him, I could see him gulp, but he didn't argue and nodded. It really stung in my heart, seeing my own brother like this and all because of my brother.

"We are going to pretend I'm mom." I laughed a little, he smiled and nodded.

"Where are you going then?" He asked, i forced a smile and took a deep breath.

"Well, Kayla let me stay at her house until you come back." I explained to him, it felt like I was betraying him.

"And if they don't believe that you're mom?" He questioned, I shrugged and held the tears back.

"I guess they will have to." I smiled, he nodded. I got up and took his car keys.

"You're driving, I don't have my license yet." I sighed dramatically. He didn't even say anything, I knew that the fact that we had to do this, upset him. But we had to do this, and I was so happy that I didn't have to force him to do it. A part of him probably realized it as well.

It broke my heart to see him like this, he was my brother, like a parent to me. When we arrived, it looked exactly like how I imagined it to look.

We met a woman, giving me information about everything around there. Afterwards she handed me some papers, I read them and signed my mother's signature.

I put the pencil down on the table as I tried to keep myself from crying.
"I don't want to do this." Vincent said, getting up as he was just about to walk away. I stopped him and looked him in the eye.

"You know how it will end if you walk out." I told him, the lady came over again as I handed her the papers.

"Vincent, follow me." She said, I gave him the last hug as I watched them walk away. Well, now there was one problem only, the car.

Fuck it, I'll tell Hayes to get it some time.

I took the bus home, feeling nauseous. I didn't like the feeling at all, it was uncomfortable. I got home and I took everything I needed, my clothes, my electronics and more.

I honestly didn't know what to do with my cat, I didn't want to let him go too. So I just planned on buying a cat house or something, so he wouldn't leave my room.

_______________________________

Hello! What did you think of this chapter? I'd love to hear y'all's opinions.

This chapter honestly hurt my heart very much, and I will probably never recover from it </3

Thank you for all the reads and votes! I love each one of you and I couldn't be more grateful. I honestly never thought I could get this far.

I hope you had the best day, you deserve it more than anyone else<3