Chapter 30

Malakai

Malakai

"When the great Takeover passed, humans went into hiding."

"Many were found and forced into packs, their ranks switching from doctors or even presidents to the lowest of scum. Slaves" I continued to dab at her face softly as I listened, trying not to press too harshly on her already bruised skin. "But what about the children? They did not understand what was going on they did not comprehend in their childlike minds why they were being punished for the crime of being powerless."

"Many children were left as orphans after the war. Most were thrown into abandoned buildings that were named 'orphanages' and were left there to rot" She ground her teeth "I knew a girl whose parents were ripped to pieces in front of her when she was thirteen."

"She had no time to grieve as she still had to take care of her sister that was a mere three years younger than her. When the girl turned fifteen she was shoved in a pack and forced to work" Harlow's voice stayed monotone as she looked at my chest but her eyes were elsewhere. She didn't pause to blink or even take a breath as she retold the story as if it were her own.

"So she worked, she worked to buy things that she soon came to realise she would never afford. She worked to try and create a life for her sister that she'd lived before the wolves stole it from her. She worked because if she didn't her fingers would be taken for her along with her life."

"But that pack was relentless. They beat submission into every human there no matter if you'd done wrong or right. As months passed the girl came to understand that their lives meant nothing in this world anymore" Tears filled her eyes but were quickly blinked away. "So she worked herself bloody to see a smile on her sisters face."

"The girl turned seventeen when she caught the eyes of the Alpha of the pack who was fourteen years her senior. He demanded her to be his personal maid and made her work longer hours than the rest without financial compensation for the time she spent in his quarters" Harlows fists began to clench "Due to the new laws she was not allowed to complain, object or even resist his advances. It's not like anyone could save her either."

I kept my breath steady so my wolf would not snap and take control. Saying I was furious was an understatement. "It was not long before he demanded her body from her and it was no surprise that she took off running. But the Alpha did not appreciate her disgust to his offer and he went off in a fit of rage."

"The next day her younger sister was brought before the punishment stage and the girl was demanded to choose. She could keep her innocence but in turn, she'd have to watch her twelve-year-old sister get raped by every man willing in the pack."

"And they were few that were unwilling."

"So she picked the obvious option and allowed herself to be taken by the man every single day till she turned eighteen" I had stopped cleaning her up and instead listened in fear of what she'd tell me next. "Lucky for her that's when the Alpha found his mate, his precious beloved that he'd love for the rest of his life and treat like a queen."

A sigh escaped her lips. "Unlucky for the happy couple, the Alpha's previous toy was with a child whose Alpha heritage you could smell a mile away." A dry chuckle escaped her lips "The newfound Luna was not happy at this, of course, she wasn't, how could this slut take her place at bearing the Alpha's firstborn."

"So she ripped the babe out of the girl's stomach and left her in the woods to die."

Surprisingly Harlow leaned into me for comfort and I embraced her quickly, wrapping my arms around her and pulling her close. I pressed kisses on the top of her head and squeezed her tightly as I felt tears flood my shirt whilst small sniffles escaped her lips.

I tried to stay silent and allow her to let it out but there was something pressing me to just get a sliver of the man's information. As I already knew I'd hunt him down and rip him to pieces.

"What happened to the Alpha, Harlow?" I asked quietly, looking down at her. Her lips spread into a smile on her battered face that allowed me to see the blood staining her teeth.

"He lived Happily Ever After."