Chapter 23

Florence

Florence

It was official.

Willow had lost it.

"So it's settled, we leave for Utopia Rivers pack at dawn"

Everyone began to pack up and I gaped at them in disbelief that they weren't going to stand up and say what we were doing was wrong. So, so wrong. "A-are you being serious?" I whispered. But I could tell she caught it.

The shuffling in the room stopped and Willow raised an eyebrow at me "Do I look like I've just told a joke to you?" She snarled, anger darkening her green eyes.

"Willow...This is wrong" I took a deep breath "I know you're mad about them taking Harlow but this" I motioned to the shitty plan in front of us "Won't do anything, you can't just-

"I'm doing it for the cause!" She exclaimed "And if you can't understand that then you can sit this mission out"

"No, you're not doing this for the cause. Human equality has nothing to do with these poor children" I pressed.

"We might as well start cutting the problem at its root, I don't see how this is a bad idea" She stated cockily, gritting her teeth.

"Arlo wouldn't want you to burn a school filled with innocent children Willow"

"You don't know what Harlow would want!" She jabbed her thumb at her chest "But I do, and I'm going to do what's right. I'm going to avenge my sister" She tilted her head "What would you know about family, you're not even human, you're just a werewolf that can't shift!".

Gasps went around the room.

I closed my eyes together and calmed my breathing "Look Willow, whatever this is. It won't bring Arlo back and I don't want any part of it," I spat turning on my heel and walking out of the room, making sure to slam the door behind me.

As soon as I was away from all the eyes I crumbled against the wall. I used my hand to cover my mouth to hold back the sobs as tears streamed down my face. I was a defective werewolf. I didn't shift when I turned sixteen and so I was deemed, human.

My parents shunned me, my rank dropping from the Beta's daughter to omega to slowly nothing at all. Pity in the eyes of the pack soon turned to disgust. The doctors didn't know what was wrong with me and neither did I.

But somehow it was my fault.

I followed the WBB because Harlow brought me hope that one day what I wasn't able to do would no longer matter. She said just because someone has teeth and claws doesn't mean we all can't get along. And I believed that, with all my heart.

And now she was gone.

And it's now becoming very crystal clear to me that Willow doesn't want equality. She wants revenge. 

I picked myself off the floor and wiped my tears. I had to do something, and something fast before a school of innocent kids go up in flames. I rushed to my room and slammed the door shut.

I got on my knees and searched my mattress before my hands caught what I was looking for. A phone.

We weren't allowed these in WBB. The werewolves could easily use them to track us and the lack of technology prevented anyone from giving up our whereabouts. But I'd taken mine when I banished from my pack but I hadn't touched it as I had no reason to contact anyone beyond the camp.

Until now.

I switched it on and scrolled through the contacts before my finger stopped at one word 'Alpha'. I hovered over it before shaking my head as I realised how stupid I'd sound if I called him after being kicked out of my pack.

I kept scrolling until I reached the one I was looking for 'Alpha King'. I stared at it for a few seconds, thinking of all the things that could go wrong but when images of children burning flashed past my eyelids and I knew it was now or never.

"Hello"

"I can only talk so you're going to have to listen, tomorrow the Human Rebellion is going to sneak into the Utopia Rivers pack and burn a school, they will be doing it early so you have to act fast".

"And why should I believe you".

"Because what reason would I have to lie?" I asked. I admit my tone was laced in a bit of desperacy as If I was begging him to believe what I was saying and take it seriously.

"I could think of a few" He muttered, there was some shifting in the background before he spoke again "Anything else I should know?"

The phone was harshly snatched from my hand "Yes actually, thank you so much for joining us this evening" Willow smiled wickedly.

My blood ran cold. "Look I don't have time to talk right now, you know wolves to torture, traitors to kill" She made eye contact with me "But I'll give you a deal that I don't really care if you accept or not".

She cleared her throat mockingly "Fuck the school, now that you know my plans it's no longer fun" She rolled her eyes "Tomorrow I am going to burn an orphanage."

I nearly choked on my breath. "Now hush hush little wolf I'm not done yet" She reprimanded in a baby voice "As I was saying tomorrow at exactly eight am I am going to turn one and only one orphanage to ashes" She grinned "And you have until then to stop me".

"But"

"If I am able to kill one child and only one child. The life of this little traitor right here belongs to me" She explained, "Oh and you better hurry alpha, or you will be receiving another head in a box".

"Don't worry I'll make sure to tie a bow around it this time".