Chapter 29

Harlow

Harlow

I closed the door to Ivory's room and stood there for a few minutes with my ear pressed against the door. Quiet sobs still escaped from the room as Ivory grieved by herself. I'd made sure to get her out of the tub and into her bed sheets before I'd left.

 After that, I could tell she needed some time alone.

So reluctantly I left, changing my appearance to that of a maids so I wouldn't draw attention to myself. I kept to myself and walked at the edge of the walls so that I could drown in my thoughts whilst staying in the shadows.

I believed that Ivory would heal from this, she was strong and would preserver from this. But I knew she had to tell Leo first, he deserved to know and grieve with her. I felt sorry for the both of them, Leo had been living his life in ignorant bliss, unaware of all the babies Ivory had to bury alone.

The drunk laughter of men reached my ears and I found myself shrinking further into the corners so I could hopefully avoid an altercation with them. But then again, werewolf senses.

"You smell that?"

My heart started beating fast in my chest as I began to pick up the pace. It was dark in the hallway and I was on the other side of the castle, too far from Malakai. Way too far from help either.

"It's probably a human maid working late"

I kept my calm and my head down and continued walking, hoping they'd just past me by. Unfortunately, I was not that lucky, an arm reached out to yank me out of the darkness and suddenly I was under the judgemental gaze of four adult werewolf makes.

Their ravenous eyes seemed to glow in dark as they stared at me. "What you're not even going to greet your superiors? Have some fucking respect."

I was shoved onto the floor and I felt myself bite back a snarky response to the point where blood filled my mouth. I blew my hair out of my face and kept my head low. "I'm sorry," I muttered, wanting to get this over with.

"Well that didn't sound very remorseful did it?"

"No it didn't at all, in fact, I think she was giving us some attitude right there."

A fist wrapped around my hair and lifted me painfully into the air, forcing me to get back on my feet. "I think we should teach this bitch a lesson."

Funny they should call me a bitch considering-

A foot shot out to hit me in the right knee that had my feet crumbling but the hand gripping my head kept me upright. 

"I wonder why The King keeps these things around, such an inferior species" The one holding me up snarled. Suddenly pain erupted on my cheek as his fist collided with it, he let go of my hair and allowed me to crumble to the floor, holding my bruised face.

Don't make a noise Harlow, that's what they want.

My face was clutched in a grip as someone observed it. I lifted my eyes and to my surprise I made eye contact with none other than Santiago "Look she's already bruising" He cooed before slapping me "I bet she'll have that handprint for the next week."

"How about we teach her a lesson she'll never forget?"

Someone foot connected with my rib, sending me flying into the wall behind me like a rag doll. I immediately curled into a ball and covered my face with my hands. "Can you believe she made eye contact with me? Who does she think she is?"

A boot came fast towards my head, slamming it into the wall once more. "And to think one of these killed Matteo, how pitiful." I felt someone step on my leg, in a painfully slow way whilst another continued in kicking the breath out of me.

"It's okay, she can pay for their mistakes for them"

This is hilarious.

Santiago kneeled on one leg and lifted my head up by my hair. "Why don't you tell us what your name is hmm?"

I spat the blood in my mouth at him and watched with satisfaction as he recoiled back in disgust. I smiled a bloody smile at the look on his face and watched with bored eyes as it filled with anger. His fingers turned to claws as he slashed my face and growled.

"You're going to regret that."

And I didn't.

I picked myself off the floor and limped my way back to my room. Having to stop more than once to catch my breath and clutch my probably bruised ribs. I reminded myself that once I got some pain medicine and a good nights rest I'd be able to change back into my body and I'd be fine.

My powers don't work properly when I'm hurt.

I resisted the urge to let out a yell of relief when I finally reached the familiar brown doors and threw them open before resting on the dark wood for a good minute with my eyes closed. "Who did that to you?"

I jumped slightly but winced when my leg let out a sting of pain. I looked up surprised to see glowing gold eyes in the dark. "Oh it's just you" I muttered before ignoring him to go to the bathroom.

I felt him follow me. "I'm not going to repeat myself, Harlow."

"And what are you going to do if I tell you hmm? Hunt them down like the big bad wolf you are?" I snarled "Oh grow up."

"I can smell each of their distinctive scents on you, I could hunt them down regardless of name."

"Then go!" I exclaimed, pointing at the door. "Go show them who's boss or whatever."

He reached out to caress me but his hand ended up hovering above my face as if he was scared to touch me "Why do you look like that?"

"I think that's the least of our worries right now Malakai, but if you really want to know" I gestured to my current form "I made myself look like this so I wouldn't draw any attention to myself, I wonder how well that worked out."

"You should've called for help" He grabbed my arm to stop me "For me."

"Oh I'm sorry I didn't wail out your name when they were punching my teeth out, I'll make sure to take note of that next time I'm getting my ass beat." I trudged over to my bed and slowly sat on it before laying back on the headboard.

From the corner of my eyes, I saw Malakai go to grab something. He walked over to me and revealed the medkit that he was looking for. I snorted "Why would you need one of these, I thought you guys have lightning speed healing or something."

"We do but you don't."

I reached out to grab a cotton ball but he lightly pushed my hand away "Let me do this for you."

"Oh, my saviour" I huffed sarcastically but flinched again when I felt a sharp pain in my stomach.

"You're unbelievably stubborn." He shook his head as he began to dab my face softly with a cotton ball dipped in disinfectant. I stared at him as he did so, marvelling at how such rough-looking hands could do something so delicate.

We sat in silence as he continued to clean me up, he seemed calm but I could see the raging storm in his eyes. He was angry. Rightfully so. Yet he stayed here and wiped the blood off of my cheek. I could see his jaw clench with every pained breath I took and his fist tighten with every wince I made.

"Mal?"

"Hmm?" He hummed as he went over one of the scratches on my face carefully.

"I want to tell you a story."