Chapter 18

Malakai

Malakai

No this wasn't stalking at all.

I stood right next to Andro's room, my ear pressed against his wall listening in on what my mate was telling him. I told myself I was doing this for Andro's safety and him alone with Harlow was not a good idea but I knew deep down she wouldn't lay a hand on a single curl on his head.

I was here because her scent was filling up my wing and I'd followed its trail to its source.

Again this is completely justifiable.

"-And the big bad wolf jumped out of grandmamas clothing and face little red square on!" Harlow exclaimed in an animated voice. A loud yawn followed and I heard a bit of shuffling "Are you about fall asleep on me, hun?"

I felt my heart melt in my chest. She'd be a good mother.

"Nope! I'm a big boy I can handle it!"

Harlow chuckled "I'm sure you are but even big boys go to sleep."

"I don't wanna" Andro whined.

"Why not?"

There was a silence for a few minutes then Andro replied "I gotta-I gotta be awake when mommy and daddy come back". The warm feeling in my chest evaporated as I now pressed myself further into the door.

"Well, they won't be happy if they come back and you're too tired to barely stand" Harlow joked but I heard the crack in her tone. I'd seen the guilt in her eyes as soon as she saw Andro, I doubt she knew Matteo had a child but then again I doubt it would have mattered.

"Yeah but...." He took a deep breath "I really miss them".

"Come here" There was loud shuffling happened and then a loud silence that I think means they're hugging. 

"Harley?"

"Yes, Ale?

"They're not coming back, are they?"

"...Yes Ale"

There was the sound of soft sniffles and Harlow whispering comfort into the boy's ear. She told him how sorry she was and how this was never meant to happen to him. I stood there as I heard her apologise into his ear over and over again.

"Okay hun let's get you into bed" I creaked the door open a bit to look through the cracks to see her tucking him in before leaving a soft kiss on his head. Andro snuggled into his sheets and whispered.

"How does the story end?"

"The wolf eats Red"

As if sensing my eyes on her Harlows head snapped to meet mine. She gave me a 'are you serious?' before shaking her head in amusement. I watched her attention fell back on the boy, running her slender fingers through his curls. her lips began to move again but this time muttering things so quiet even I almost didn't catch it.

But I could vaguely make out her whispering "I'm going to make this up to you"

No, I'm definitely not crying right now.

She stood up from his bed after stroking his forehead a couple of times. And walked over to me, her attitude accelerating when she caught I was still watching. She crossed her arms across her chest and narrowed her eyes at me.

"Shame on you!" She whispered angrily.

"I swear on everything I was just passing through" I lied. She raised an eyebrow and shooed me out, following right behind me.

"I know you were here since the beginning, I can feel you" She looked away "I don't know how but I can sense when you're nearby" She muttered frustrated.

"Well, I have it worse considering I can smell you when you're three corridors away," I told her huffing.

"I don't know, turn your nose off or something" She shrugged uncaringly. She glanced back into Andro's room "You think he'll forgive me one day?"

"I'm sure of it" I answered honestly "Time heals all wounds".

"But leaves scars" She mumbled bitterly "It was a mistake you know? A wrong place at the wrong time kind of situation" She explained.

"No one was meant to know he was going there that day, we do random checkups around packs when they least expect it" I watched as she pulled her lips between her teeth. 

"I'm sorry" She croaked finally, she began to lean closer into me and I embraced her with a smile.

"I know" I replied kissing the top of her head, faltering slightly to breathe in her scent. "I am too".