Chapter 1

Malakai

Malakai

"They killed him."

"Yes".

"They removed his head".

"Yes your majesty"

"And they sent it to us...in a box"

The man was sweating bullets by now, he looked at me nervously not knowing how to reply to me. "Yes, your majesty?"

I looked away "His guards?"

"Blown to pieces sir" He whimpered. I clenched my teeth.

"His mate?"

"Burnt to ashes"

I sighed and rubbed the bridge in between my eyes. In truth I was blinking back the tears in my eyes, I'd just lost my best friend, his mate and fifteen of my wolves in a fortnight to the rebellion.

"Any word from the alpha of the pack?" I asked, my tone laced in desperacy. The man nodded sheepishly, I let out an exhale of relief. "How many survivors?"

"None".

"Get out".

He ran out faster than his feet could carry him, causing him to trip. On a normal day I would've barked out in laughter but today wasn't a normal day. My heart hung heavy with loss and my wolf howled in mourning for his fallen companions.

How did I let this happen?

A whole pack up in flames. The casualties were extensive and the damage even worse. I couldn't imagine how people were feeling and I didn't want to think about what they'd say in retaliation. I had to act, and fast.

I'd been getting calls all morning from Alphas far and wide. They'd all seemed to turn on me in there dark times and were looking to me to answer the infamous question. What do we do now?

Many were terrified that their packs would be next, tightening their border patrol and putting their pack members in lockdown. This situation had especially put an mark on the backs of humans everywhere who were now dealing with the consequences on behalf of the rebellion.

There was a knock on my door and at that moment I was prepared to rip whoever was behind that door's head clean off their shoulders. "Come in" I all but growled.

"Hey Mal" 

My tense shoulders immediately slumped as I let my vulnerability shine through. "I'm not in the mood right now Scil" I grumbled, rubbing my temples with two fingers. I had a migraine that I knew would only escalate by the hour.

"None of us are in the mood right now Mal, the castle's all quiet in respect for them and..." She bit her lip and took a few steps closer "I just didn't want you to be alone, not right now".

"I appreciate the concern Priscilla but I'd actually kill for even a second alone right now" I gave her a polite smile but she didn't seem to take the hint.

"Well, what are you going to do?"

I raised an eyebrow at her "What do you mean?"

She rolled her eyes and plopped onto my couch "You're obviously angry, we all are" She pointed out "But what are you going to do in retaliation?" She now looked at me expectantly, a look I'd seen plenty before.

 "I don't fight fire with fire Scil, you know that" I narrowed my eyes at her. She rolled her eyes, exasperated.

"Well, they lit up a pretty big fire this time Mal!" She got onto her feet now but I stayed calm.

"So you want me to what? Blow up a human apartment building to say fuck you?" I gave her a pointed look "We're not children Scil, I will not play who can make a bigger mess".

"They're blowing up packs now! Packs!" She walked around my desk and leaned on it "And you're just going to sit here and do, nothing?" She tilted her head "You're going to let Matteo die for nothing?"

My eyes flashed red. I blinked and my fist was wrapped around her neck. I lifted her up into the air, ignoring her nails that scratched at my arms. "Don't say that, don't act like I purposefully sent him to die, don't forget that I lost him just as you did."

"You want me to do something? Okay," I dropped her, watching as she crumpled to the floor in a wheeze. "Send out a word that all human salaries must be cut in half and all food items costs to be doubled."

I waved her off as I got into my seat. My ears perked up at the sound of a small heartbeat approaching my door. "Uncle Kai?" I felt my face soften with guilt as my nephew walked in. His face was still shining with innocence, his eyes glinting with childlike happiness.

Unaware that he was now an orphan.

"What's up kid?" I gave him a smile that he returned.

"I want to go to sleep, dads not back yet so can you read me a bedtime story?" 

I felt my heart clench as I looked at him, he stared at me with such hope that I couldn't say no "Sure I'll be there in a minute" He let out a yes before running down the hallways, excitedly talking about how he was going to put on he's pyjamas. 

He's a good kid.

"You're going to have to tell him one day" I refrained from snapping at Scil. I didn't have to look at her to see the smirk that was currently on her face, as she still nursed the bruise around her neck. She knew my guilt would help set in her point.

"I know" I replied curtly.

I would tell him one day. Hopefully when the wound isn't so fresh on my own skin.

I hear Scil get to her feet before strutting to my door, a sway in her step that lets me believe she thinks she's won. And she has. "Scil" She didn't look back but turned her head to show she was listening. "Make the humans rebuild the pack, grander than before".

This made a smile spread on her red coloured lips. "I'm glad you've decided to see it my way, your majesty."

"