Chapter 26

Malakai

Malakai

'Aww, maybe next time Alpha. Winsome, lose more.
Try not to lose your head okay? We wouldn't want it falling off your shoulders.
In the meantime, I suggest you be careful in who you believe and who you...trust.
I'm sure you don't want to have to plan another funeral'

My wolf broke from the surface as my eyes melted away into the liquid gold. Claws burst for my fingertips, tearing the well-written card to shreds. Rage clouded my sense of rational thinking as I picked up the chair I was sitting on and sent it hurdling for the wall.

Annoyingly it did nothing but bounce off as all the things in my office were what I liked to call Midas-Proofed. But it did nothing to simmer my anger.

There was a knock at the door that nearly sent me into a murder spree. "What!?"

The door slowly opened and Harlow stood there. She was slightly taken back but held her ground, a solemn look on her face. There was a slight red ring around her eyes and dark eyebags to match, showing she was very much still grieving.

But I could feel my anger evaporating by just the sight of her. My nostrils flared as they were overcome by her scent and gradually I felt the mate bond calming me down.

 "I wanted to ask if I could go out in the woods to bury her" Her voice monotone and her expression bored.

"Nonsense, we have burial grounds just off Castle" I cleared my throat trying to act natural. I almost took a seat but quickly remembered it was now turned on its side on the other end of the room. Harlow glanced quickly at the chair on the floor before making eye contact with me again.

She scoffed "Florence would curse me from her grave if I buried her on werewolf soil."

I nodded, wincing slightly "Oh, of course of course" I agreed. "So where would you like to um..."

She blinked slowly "Nothing too far from here, Ivory showed me a wildflower meadow here when she was walking me around the place. I was hoping I could go there." The more she talked the more she sounded like she wasn't asking me, she was telling me.

"Okay, would you like anyone to accompany you? Did she have any family or friends?"

She shook her head "I was her family I guess. And her supposed friends are the ones who put her in this box so."

I nodded "I'll ask some guards to lead you out there" I saw her mouth open to argue but I cut in "For safety reasons of course," I said, giving her a look. Last thing I wanted her to think was that I didn't trust her.

Sure I had every reason not too but I knew deep down that she'd make the right choice.

She stood there for a few seconds and once she realised our conversation was over she gave me a small smile that was immediately wiped off when she turned to leave. "Um, Harlow!" I called out after her.

She popped her head back in the doorway with a raised eyebrow. "Alejandros birthday is coming up in a few days and we're throwing a party for him and" I took a deep breath "A bunch of his friends and family are coming over and I'd think he'd love it if you'd sho-

"I think I'm gonna sit that one out you majesty," She told me giving me a sad smile. "I'm sure my face is the last thing those people would like to see."

And with that, she was gone.

Harlow

"So you just left?"

I nodded as Ivory and I sat on a rock in the middle of the meadow. The wolves that had been assigned to us were walking around but some had come per the request of Ivory to wear the flower crowns she was passing around. 

Their serious faces did not compliment the daisies they were wearing at all.

"I had nothing left to say," I shrugged as I tried to put the lily through the loop as she'd just taught me. I was finding it embarrassingly difficult to accomplish even a flower bracelet whilst Ivory weaved dozens with ease.

"It's like you two aren't moving anywhere in this relationship" She chuckled "I'm surprised the mate bond hasn't forced you both to put your differences aside." She got to her feet and put another wildflower chain on Flo's grave.

When she'd offered to decorate it a bit I almost cried as Flo used to love gardening and farming back at the camp. But seeing Flo's now colourful headstone brought tears back to my eyes.

Ivory would never know how much this means to me.

"Okay, I think I'm done" She dusted her hands off and admired her work "What d'you think?"

I smiled "She'd love it."

She came over to hug me and I welcomed her embrace. "Everythings gonna get better, you'll see," She promised, rocking me from side to side.

Suddenly a look of horror washed over Ivory's face and she was running for a bush nearby. I jogged after her and rubbed her back as she began to throw up violently, lurching forward with every sound. When she was done she made a coughing sound and then wiped her mouth with the back of her hand.

"Sorry about that," She apologised in a weak voice. I waved it off and walked her back to the rock we were relaxing on.

"Are you okay?" I asked as she began to pick up her leftover flower crowns "Should I take you to the doctor? You guys have one of those right?"

She shook her head "Don't sweat it, you can't cure pregnancy".

My eyes practically fell out of my head "You're pregnant?!" I asked shocked.

"Yup" She answered as if it were nothing. I followed behind her as we began making our way back into the forest and back home.

"Wow, I...Wow! I almost can't believe it. I'm so happy for you." I said getting excited. "Does Leo know?" I asked.

"I'm planning on surprising him when it's been four months" She admitted a small blush showing on her cheeks "I found out around two months ago but with all that's been happening lately I haven't really had the time to think about it."

She smiled at me but the more I looked at her the more I saw how the feigned excitement in her eyes wasn't happiness, but fear. I stopped her and touched her shoulder gently "Ivory...are you happy?"

She paused for a moment but then her bright smile was back "Of course," She grinned "We need to rush back to the castle I'm in charge of preparation for the birthday boy." She began dragging me along but I let her, not wanting to bother her more.

Because heaven knows everyone needs a happy celebration right now.