Chapter 15

Malakai

Malakai

She's infuriating.

I put our differences aside and tried to make our pairing work and she throws Matteo's death in my face. I thought she'd even have a smither of sympathy for what she'd done but I saw nothing when I stared into her face but her guiltless eyes.

Taking his life truly meant nothing to her.

And that hurt even more.

She had no idea the lives she'd impacted by killing him. The nationwide mourning that was currently going on at the death of the Royal Beta. He had family and friends who I had to personally talk to, explaining his death. The hours I'd spent on the phone comforting his parents and organizing his funeral.

The guilt I'd been drowning in from letting him leave the palace in the first place.

She had absolutely no clue.

So she laughed at it. Like it was a joke with a sick, cruel punchline that I simply couldn't understand.

I wished she got to meet him. Even once.

Even now as we were sitting across from each other, she held no remorse. Leo and his mate kept up their hospitality like a true Beta couple by welcoming her with open arms despite her crimes. They were mourning too.

But she didn't know.

She doesn't know.

"Don't let her get to you Kai".

My skin froze up as I felt Scils hand come in contact with my shoulder. I was quick to shrug it off. "She's stupid and-

"I can't hold it against her Scil, she didn't know" I breathed.

"It doesn't matter, if she was a good mate-

"She doesn't even know what that is" I defended her once more.

"Well if she'd at least try to listen-

"Priscilla" I stopped her. "Just knock it off".

The door to the Dining Hall opened and a familiar smell of caramel popcorn hit my nostrils, immediately lifting my spirits. I fixed my posture as my lips broke into a bright smile. "Andro!"

The little boy simply gave me a tired smile as he trudged into the room, still wearing his racecar pyjamas. His hair stuck out in all corners, most of it in his face. I should probably get to taking him for a haircut before it's too late.

I mentally sighed, fatherhood.

"Hey Uncle Kai" He greeted me with a yawn. I outstretched my arms and he walked into them, making me carry him into my lap. He was quick to get comfortable on my chest and I had no doubt in my mind he'd be out like a light soon.