Chapter 27

Harlow

Harlow

I pulled the strings to Ivory's corset slightly, trying to be gentle and not tug too much of the string.

"Harlow," She sighed "Are we going to be here all night or are you going to tighten my corset?"

"I just don't want to hurt you!" I defended, pulling the strings a little more.

She looked back at me with a raised eyebrow "Are you trying to make me late?" She accused with narrowed eyes.

"Of course not I just don't want to hurt the-" I mouthed the words 'baby' which made her chuckle as I'd been treating her pregnancy as if it were a huge world breaking secret. Whenever the subject came up I'd either whisper it or make hand gestures in relation to it.

"Love, the only time I even remotely show is after I've had a big lunch" She chuckled "By pulling the strings you're hurting nothing but my ability to breathe."

"You're not convincing me to pull any tighter."

"Tighten the fucking strings, Harley," She replied. I rolled my eyes at her attitude but finished tying up her corset, I then smoothened the back of her gown and gave her a once over.

"Why do you need such a gown for a child's birthday party?" I asked, confused as to why she needed a floor-length princess cut dress for a boy who was turning seven.

"The party is less for Alejandro and more for his family" Ivory explained "Malakai feels they need to be sated in some sort of way after the death of... and he feels as if a large party where they are free to drink themselves stupid is the perfect way to say 'I'm sorry for your loss'."

By Ivory's tone, I could tell she did not approve of this but she had to attend due to the fact her mate was the new Beta and them together as the new Beta couple would have to show the wolves that they were capable of filling the shoes of the previous couple.

And they were some big shoes to fill.

Leo acted as if it were nothing but I could see the exhaustion on his face at breakfast. Ivory would tell me about how he left early in the morning only to return late at night when she'd already fallen asleep. 

Him not being there was the only reason why she'd been able to keep her secret for so long.

"Why so late at night, Ale's bedtime is in four hours," I said glancing at the clock. At this rate, he'd only be able to get a slice of cake before he let sleep take him over. One thing about Alejandro was that when he was tired he'd sleep, no matter where he was.

"As I said, his birthday party has nothing to do with him" Ivory shook her head "In fact, I think the only thing he chose about this day was the flavour of his cake."

"I think that's the only thing he cares about" I laughed, Ivory joining me.

She glanced at the clock before groaning again. "Leo's going to kill me for being this late" She rushed to grab her clutch and spray some more hairspray on her head "Are you sure you don't want to come? I have a dress in my closet that's a bit small and it'd look go-