Chapter 12

Harlow

Harlow

"You shouldn't do that you know"

"Do what?" I asked a little harsher than I intended.

I couldn't help it. I was frustrated and I couldn't see myself getting back to the base in the near future.

"Provoke him" I shot him a look of confusion "The arguing and everything is okay but I'd advise you not to mention you in a romantic relationship with anyone that isn't him".

I scoffed "Or what?"

"Hopefully we'll never have to find out" He assured me. I wanted to ask another question but something told me he didn't want to talk about it anymore.

"How do you feel about him?" I inquired tilting my head slightly. A part of me wanted to gather as much as I could about him so I could find the best way to take him down but another part of me just genuinely wanted to get to know him.

A small, small part of me.

"He's the best king we could ever have and this kingdom owes him more than we could ever repay" He replied honestly. "The lengths he has gone to keep all werewolves alive even before the Takeover are admirable".

Yes, The Takeover.

To them, it was a great deal in their furry history. Them finally coming out to the world and getting the opportunity to live without hiding who they really were.

To humans, it was the day we lost everything.

"I can tell you're really loyal to him" I muttered in disappointment. I was secretly hoping he'd be bitter and power-hungry like all the previous men I've had the displeasure of meeting. "How do you feel about me?"

He was thrown off my question "Erm.. what do you mean?" He questioned politely. I picked up my pace of walking so we could be side by side.

"I mean" I looked down "You're only beta because I killed the last one. Personally"

"I would never hold it against you-

"Oh, but you should. I feel not even a smither of guilt about what I did to Beta...Beta" I feigned innocence as if I'd forgotten his name "It was Beta-

"Matteo" He corrected me coldly "It was Royal Beta Matteo"

"Oh silly me, talking about his death as if it isn't a fresh would for you, my bad" I giggled. Aggravation came off of him in waves "But you don't have to be worried Leo, you'll soon reunite with your precious Beta" I smirked. "I'll make sure of it".

"I know what you're doing" Leo chuckled darkly "And it's not going to work, at least not whilst we're under Malakai's roof. Whenever you think you'll think you're about to get the upper hand he'll always be three steps ahead".