Chapter 21

Harlow

Harlow

"I kinda want to straighten my hair" I voiced out to Ivory as she did my makeup.

"Oooo that'll look great" She agreed, but then stopped "I love your curls though," She said wrapping her index finger around one of the brown coils.

"I'm tired of them" I admitted, remembering the time I'd spend in the morning trying to make it looked like I hadn't frolicked through a barn. And I'd still fail. I glanced at the mirror and my curls fell down my back and began straightening at will.

"I keep forgetting you can do things like that" Ivory muttered "That must be such a useful power, to be able to just be whatever".

I shrugged "Yeah I guess it's pretty useful".

"Have you always been able to do that or?" She asked. I stared into space and nodded my head.

"I've been able to do it for as long as I can remember," I thought back to the first time I did it and shivered, not my most fond memory.

"How does it work...do you just think it and you become it?" She began to get excited.

"Well sure-

"So does that mean you can like shapeshift into like a tree or an animal?

"No, it doesn't work that way, I can only shift into people" I explained "And they can only be people I've laid eyes on".

"So how come you shapeshifted into me when we'd never met before?"

I struggled to come up with a valid explanation "Well if I touch someone I can change into who they care about the most" I bit my lip "Usually for wolves that would be their mates, but in rare occasions where they haven't met them I can change into any close family members or even friends".

"Do you control it or does it just happen?" She asked. I played with my fingers, trying hard not to chip off the nail polish she'd glazed over them.

"I guess both I can usually do it on will but if my emotions are haywire or if I'm not concentrating it can just...happen" There were many times where I'd shapeshifted and gotten angry and blew my cover. or my overexcitement getting the better of me.

Times where I was sneaking into a human auction and blowing my cover because of the tears running down my face. Or when I was looking death in the face, trying not to change back because I was so terrified.

I'd never been good at keeping my emotions in check.

"Have you ever tried it on Malakai?"

I picked my lips as she glazed them with gloss, finally finishing my makeup look for the evening. "Yup" I answered, checking myself out in the mirror. I tried my hardest to imprint how I looked into my memory just in case I'd need to look like this again.