Chapter 68

I managed to keep up with the front of the pack for the better part of the race, but overtaking max was easier said then done.

M: "yn 10 laps to go, we are thinking of backing away from max and conserving the car. up to you though."

I was exhausted from chasing him down this whole race, the car began to take a hit though catching too much dirty air. It was the right call.

YN: "yeah copy, I'll back off then."

M: "okay well sainz is behind, gap is 9.8 but we don't think he'll catch up."

As I jumped out of the car I wasn't as deflated as I thought I would be about not making podium. It was still a respectable drive, I needed to grow as a racer a little more before I could really cement a spot at the top.

Besides, I was elated to see lando had come first. I watched Hamilton mope around which only made me happier.

As soon as I spotted his fluro helmet talking to some of the boys I bolted over to embrace him.

LN: "hey! How did you go?!"

YN: "P4! But you P1!!"

I wanted to take his helmet off and kiss him right then and there.

LN: "good birthday present?"

I took off my own helmet to showcase how happy I was, answering his question.

I eagerly waited for lando to take his helmet off but he was summoned for an interview. He gave me a quick kiss though leaving the reporters waiting.

I went over to the team where I talked to everyone about the race.

E: "I think it was still a great race, I mean you fought hard for so long."

YN: "I agree, we are definetly getting there."

As lando finished up he grabbed my hand and we began to walk together to the press circle. Sky news caught us and we set up on the platform for a quick chat.

R: "yn I know you were so close to a podium but wonderful driving today, and lando Grand Prix winner my my! Tell us how you do it!"

I looked over grinning at lando letting him answer as I soaked it all up. He looked me dead in the eye with a cheeky grin of his own.

LN: "a good breakfeast."

I felt my cheeks grow hot thinking about this morning, I bit my lip looking away, laughing to play it off.

R: "well I think racers all over the world are wanna get there hands on that if that's the case."

Lando and I laughed a bit harder than what the comment warranted, having our own connotations.

LN: "sorry I don't share."

I rolled my eyes and took a deep breath to try compose myself for the rest of the interview and the following to come.

——————-

After a dozen happy birthdays from reporters and drivers, I was finally free to walk back to the truck and answer my mum's relentless calls.

YN: "hi mum..."

The chorus of my family began to sing happy birthday.

YN: "thank you guys, how is everyone."

D: "amazing after watching you race, stellar job honey."

YN: "thank you dad."

M: "do you and lando have any plans tonight?"

Her voice rose as she mentioned landos name, she was overly excited. Probably because I never allowed someone to do something like this before.

YN: "I believe so, it's a surprise."

Mum squealed with excitement on the other end of the phone, I had to pull it away from my ear to stop myself from going deaf.

H: "wear something nice yeah."

L: "Harry!"

My eyebrows furrowed as mum shushed the boys. Even on my birthday they found ways to sneak a jab at me.

YN: "no I was actually planning on going out to dinner in my trackies."

M: "well we will let you go then, have fun tonight."

YN: "will do, love you guys."

I ended the call before walking into my room and getting changed. Lando was still caught up in interviews so I decided to head to the hotel first and start to get ready.

————————

Lando sent me a message saying the restaurant was fancy so on my way back home I stopped by a few shops and found a gorgeous champagne color silk slip dress with a bare back.

When I got back to the hotel and he was still nowhere to be seen I showered and then started to put on some natural make up and did my hair.

LN: "Sorry I was tossed around so many reporters and I tried to get out sooner bu-"

He stopped in his tracks when he saw me just about finished straightening my hair. His eyes wondered down my bare legs, a towel the only thing leaving his imagination to wonder.

YN: "pick your jaw off the floor and get in the shower. We are leaving in half an hour you said and I'm not going out if you stink."

His hand wiped his mouth and jaw, still shocked. I grinned as I faced the mirror to fix a few bits and pieces.

LN: "I'm speechless."

YN: "I don't even have the dress on yet."

I heard him let out a shakey breath as he moved into the bathroom making me giggle. The effect I had on him was intoxicating.

——————

After drooling over me for 10 minutes, lando finally got changed into a linen shirt and dress pants so we could make our way out.

Instead of going to the car park he lead us out to the street. I assumed because it must've been close but I was ever so wrong. A limo stretched out before us, I tried to ignore it and hope it wasn't ours, but lando stopped us right in front of the door and opened it.

YN: "mr Norris I believe the words I used were 'low key' when I described how I wanted you to plan the night."

He tsked as he ushered me into the car.

LN: "really? Must've misheard you."

He passed me a glass of champagne which I couldn't refuse but I still looked at him pointedly to say he wasn't out of the woods just yet.

YN: "seriously lando this is too much."

LN: "yn you deserve the world okay, this is just a small token of appreciation that I have for you being in my life."

My eyes fluttered at his response. Okay, maybe he was in the good books now.

YN: "fine I cave, but know when your birthday comes around..."

LN: "oh I am already making a wish list."