Chapter 67

I had qualified P4 and lando P2, even though I felt like I didnt do the best run possible, the speed in the car was undeniable. I also guess my standards in my driving had gone up.

The team was happy with where we were sitting, I think they also liked the buffer of verstappen between lando and I. After interviews I opened up my phone and saw my teams group chat buzzing, we had formed a great bond and were comfortable to put ideas forward which made me smile.

YN: so we aiming to stay in top 5?

E: I reckon the best we can do here is maintain P4, maybe we can get lucky

I nodded to myself as I continued walking over to the trailer. Suddenly a bump in my side made me look away from my phone.

LN: "who are you smiling at, more pictures of me?"

I rolled my eyes, I was grateful that he was in a good mood, I hoped that charles had already talked to him and that this wasn't just him unaware of me throwing him under the bus.

YN: "ha ha. my team group chat."

LN: "oh yeah? what are you guys trying to get out of tomorrow?"

YN: "Just stay where we are, dont think I am gonna get around max."

LN: "fair. I had just had a strange conversation with charles by the way."

I went to pull away, prepared for him to blow up as we stepped into the mclaren hospitality tent. He pulled me back though grabbing my hand in his.

LN: "I know you sent him and im not mad."

I softened my features from a look of concern into gratitude.

YN: "no?"

He pinched his lips and cocked his head to one side.

LN: "well, I would have liked a little heads up but it was a good idea. I mean i try to talk to carlos and max fewtrell about us sometimes and they dont understand you know, they try."

YN: "which is exactly why I referred charles to you. your both in a unique prediciment and I thought you two could help each other. Did it help?"

Lando guided us into his room first. I sat on the couch as I watched him get changed, I couldnt help but stare at him, watching his muscles tense and relax as he took his racing gear off and casual clothes on. I almost didnt hear lando when he replied.

LN: "I mean a bit, venting it to someone who understands and doesnt just say 'well thats not fair you do the same' was nice."

I looked down and began to anxiously pick at my fingers. I didnt know if I was overly ambitious or what but I kind of hoped for more.

LN: "I dont really know if there was much else we could offer each other, there arent many people who are going through what we are going through."

My face contorted partly disappointed that they both couldnt find peace of mind.

Lando grabbed my hands to stop me from fidgeting allowing me to take a deep breath and look towards him.

LN: "It was a good idea, its just something we are both going to have to work on and get used to."

He gave me a quick kiss on the cheek before pulling me up and guiding me over to the next room over.

As lando sat on the couch I saw him intently eying me off, it made me hesitant to start getting changed. I kept staring at him, silently communicating him to turn his head. A smile slowly creeped on his face.

LN: "you seemed to enjoy the show before its only fair-"

I threw a near by tennis ball at him causing him to erupt into laughter.

YN: "pervert."

I joked around but proceeded to begin to get unchanged.

LN: "says you!"

I stuck the finger up, refusing to give him the satisfaction of me turning around.

I hid the smile though that he had teased out of me, he never failed to do so.

----------

LN: "happy birthday!!"

He startled me awake jumping up and down on the bed. So much for low key and subtle.

YN: "your a child."

He jumped down, narrowly missing taking me out. I rubbed the sleep out of my eyes, opening them to see lando right up and close to my face.

LN: "happy birthday my love."

He gently kissed me on the mouth easily making this my best birthday to date.

YN: "mmm a very happy birthday indeed."

LN: "now I've got a nice little light breaky planned but we gotta get moving for race day. The birthday plans kick in post race."

I covered my head under the sheets and groaned.

YN: "I just want to stay in bed with you all day."

Obviously that wasn't practical, we had a job to do but the moment was so perfect I didn't want it to escape us.

Lando lifted the sheets joining me briefly.

LN: "tempting..."

He looked me up and down setting my skin on fire.

LN: "room service?"

I nodded eagerly but neither of us moved. He pulled me in with his hands around my waist. As I breathed in his breaths he combed the hair out of my face, studying me.

The familiar warmth that started in my chest filled my head and heart until it felt like I was floating. Unable to stop myself any longer I fell back into him, kissing him, starting from his gorgeous lips and working my way down.

Time had escaped us very quickly, when we finally went to order room service we noticed that we only had an hour until we had to be at the track.

Reluctantly we settled for breakfast and coffee to go and made our way.

———————

The team surprised me as I walked in to the garage once I was changed and ready to race.

Everyone: "happy birthday yn!"

I bit my lip to stop myself from cringing. It was a lovely gesture, it was the camera in my face and everyone staring at me however I didn't favor.

YN: "awww thanks everyone!"

A cake came my way, when I saw it I had to blink twice to make sure I wasn't dreaming.

YN: "no way."

M: "yes way, ordered from Australia and everything."

I chuckled with disbelief. It was a classic Woolworth's chocolate mud cake. Most of the team didn't understand why I was so happy to see a $4 cake, but it was an Aussie staple that made my eyes water.

JH: "I heard you rambling on about it once and talked to mike and got it sorted. You deserve a taste of home. Happy birthday."

Jess hugged me from behind whilst I held back the happy tears. This was pure bliss.

After refocusing and setting up into the car, I couldn't be in a better mood to go racing. Suddenly I felt capable to race for a podium, as ridiculous as it may seem for a rookie to take on red bulls resident max verstappen, I was riding cloud 9 and nothing could stop me.