Chapter 53

I soaked up in the winter sun on the sand, watching my dog Utah run around. I had just finished a fitness swim set in the ocean which left me feeling the most alive I had since the last time I raced.

It was my last day here before I headed back to England. The two boys had there fair share of sister bonding going to footy games and lunches. Mum and dad however couldn't get enough, leaving them was the hardest part. I was ready though, plenty relaxed after coming back to my roots.

I walked barefoot along the asphalt  road up to where the house was and found Mum sitting on the front balcony sipping coffee and flipping through a magazine.

As I walked upstairs mum sighed.

M: "time to go already?"

I walked around behind her and wrapped my arms around her neck,

YN: "I've gotta shower and get ready, I reckon we have to leave in two hours?"

M: "so breaky before you leave?"

YN: "yes please!"

M: "I'll go grab something and bring it back here."

I quickly showered and washed my hair feeling refreshed before my flight. I put on track pants and a hoodie and left a towel on my hair as I strolled out to the dining table to eat with mum.

She had set up coffee and pastries for us to pick at.

M: "I've left it alone for the past two weeks and your dad wants me to leave it alone but...I feel like there is something up with you and lando."

My eyebrows drew together. How on earth could she know?

YN: "what makes you say that?"

M: "for starters I haven't heard you on the phone to him for the whole time you've been here."

I let my defensive stature dispel, Chest falling back and jaw unclenching. I was at a loss for words. I couldn't even consider the truth as an option, not when we left in an hour.

YN: "I don't know mum...I guess we are on a break, but I didn't want to worry anyone. It's just until I get back."

M: "I don't understand, I mean I saw that video of you two dancing in Hungary and the way he looks at you yn...he is so in love with you. I hope you know that."

I almost forgot to breath. It was scary how convincing we were, how in love we still seemed.

I began stuffing my face with one of the berry muffins on the table as an excuse for not explaining myself.

M: "yn..."

Her voice was both stern and kind somehow. It always forced me to listen and do as she said. I looked up at her to see her worried eyes.

YN: "mum I swear it's fine okay, I was worried he felt cornered in our relationship so I decided we should go on a break to make sure he really wants to be with me."

I plucked the past to conjure up an excuse. I never considered telling people about that minor break but compared to the soul crushing truth this was my best option.

M: "just promise me you won't let it slip away and get scared like you usually do."

YN: "mum!"