Chapter 27 ~Luck~

Dani's PoV

They got what they wanted.

I'm broken.

Utterly.

I used to be able to deflect everything. But now I can't.

Now, everything penetrates through my weak shield.

I will never be able to get over this. They wrecked me. They did just what they did to Emma.

The words start to be true because it keeps getting repeated. You start to question if it actually is true, and then you realize it is.

I've realized that everything they said, is true.

Stop. I shouldn't be thinking this. I made Emma get stronger. I'm her fuel. If I stop, she stops too. If I start, then she also starts.

And Emma's the main one here. She is the Chosen One and it's not easy to find the Chosen One.

But even if I try to get myself to stop thinking about the things they say, it will always somehow end up in my thoughts. You can escape reality easily, but you can't escape your thoughts easily. But there still is a way.

I thought about how I had my phone in my pocket, almost fully charged, when I had been kidnapped. So if they hadn't taken notice of it, then the phone should be in here. I don't have it in my pocket.

I felt around me, I hadn't moved so much in a while. For the first time in my life, it felt weird to be doing something so normal.

My fingertips brushed over something smooth. Smoother than the floor.

A screen.

I immediately tried picking it up, and I could feel the rectangle weight in my hand, this stroke of luck in my hand.

I turned the phone on and it was three bars out of four. I'm fine.

Immediately, I dialed the digits for help.

911

Wait. That's American. Did I even ever learn what the British number was?

I called my mom, hoping she would answer my question.

"I'm sorry. But the person you've called does not have a v-" I groaned as the monotone voice spoke and I hung up. How could my mom not pick up, let alone not have a set up voicemail? I thought she had one.

Who else was there to call? I didn't have too many British contacts. A lot of American, but I wouldn't be able to call them.

This was crazy, how could I forget the number? I had learned it before, but now it seemed to have been wiped from my memory.

All I knew was that the first digit was nine, just like the American number.

And then I remembered.

999

Emma's PoV

I let the tears fall as they laughed. I was so weak. Everything happened in slow motion. The kicks, the cuts, the punches, the slaps, the hits and the burns. And they never seemed to end.

Then Harry's phone saved me. Apparently, he had to go home and the other boys thought that it wouldn't be fun without him, so they decided to leave too.

"Don't consider yourself lucky," Zain said.

"Yeah, don't worry we're coming back tomorrow," Niall said,

"Next time we see you, we'll hurt you more than this," Harry said.

More than this? How am I not even dead yet. How am I still awake? This isn't possible. There has to be something keeping me awake, and whatever it is I don't like.

I don't want to feel this pain, I don't want to see it happen. I just want to be dreaming about a better life while all of this is happening.

And suddenly, as if the substance flow had stopped, I passed out.