Chapter 28 ~List~

Emma's PoV

My eyes snapped open to a white ceiling.

Where was I? The question that immediately came to my mind. The house had a wooden ceiling, not a white cement one.

I moved my head and bit my lip from the pain in my neck. There was also a neck brace, restraining me from moving my head too much.

When I was able to take in the scene around me, I realized where I was. The hospital.

This wasn't a good place to be in. Hospital? I think Dani managed to get in contact with the police which means... I think the six boys were caught by the police.

"You just awake, on time," a nurse said as I heard the door open.

"On time?"

"If out calculations are correct, you have exactly 12 days left of life," she replied sadly. What? No, this was some sort of sick joke there is no way I'm dying.

"I'm sorry," she pitied. I didn't even need it. If I was going to die, I would be dying and pitying wouldn't change a thing.

But still, it was too much to take in. Death. I had always feared death, the end to the adventure of life. I didn't know it would come so soon though. I'm only 13, 14 really soon. I'm dying before by birthday. What a shame.

"That's it?" I asked, having no other words to say.

"You were found in a cottage in the forest. The police checked the last owners, but it's abandoned and was last used 1987, the owner died then." What? I thought the place was Harry's summer home. I knew he had been lying! That liar knew every trick in the book.

"And as of injuries, you had plenty. So did the other girl you were with, Danielle. And she would like to see you," the nurse said. All I did was nod. The words that came out of her mouth were words I thought I never would hear. They hurt me that much.

I heard the door close and after a while it opened again. Dani.

"You're on crutches," I pointed out, looking at her.

"I know. The doctor said it would be a few weeks. Few weeks until I could get back on my feet," she groaned.

"And you're arm?"

"This thing?" she asked, lifting up her arm in the sling a little. "At least it's my left arm. I can still write."

We were silent for a few minutes, looking at each other, sharing the same emotions, sharing the same pain.

"Thank you, Dani. I don't know where I would've been if you hadn't called."

"I remembered the number. It wasn't easy. 999, right? I wanted to call my, our mom but she didn't have any set up voicemail."

"She was probably busy and didn't want voicemails?" I guessed.

"It isn't." And then we were quiet for an even longer time, after she sat down in the chair next to me.

"I'm going to miss you," she finally said.

"I'm going to miss life. And you."

"It isn't fair. You didn't deserve any of it. Anyone but you. You mean the world to me. Really, Emma. You do."

"But to the world I'm only one person. How do I know I'm the world to you?"

"You're my sister, Emma. Maybe not blood sister, but we're still sisters and always will be. And you, you have changed me so much, you've changed so much. Without each other, we would be completely different now."

"And soon, I'll be gone."

"Don't remind me."

"It's already been reminded, it won't ever change."

"What's on your bucket list?" she asked, trying to avoid the subject of death. But the bucket list was also death.

"A lot of things. Things that I'll never get to do."

"Just one of them. We have 12 days."

"To turn 14."

"You can't do that."

"I know. But I really want to."

"Something else. I want our last moments together to be happy."

"Write a song."

"About what?"

"Anything. No, about you, Dani."