Chapter 21: Protective

A few days past since that rather awful dream you had and nothing really changed. Dracos habbit of disappearing continued and got even more intense when Christmas and therefore holidays were approaching. Whenever you were with Harry, trying to spot him on the Marauders map, you kept seeing him either vanishing completely from the map, either being at the 2nd floor girls laboratory. A few days before Christmas you were barely even seeing Draco. Both you and Blaise were getting really worried. It was Wednesday morning. You and Blaise were at the Great Hall having breakfast. As you were eating some owls flew across the Hall and left letters to some students, including you and Blaise. You weren't expecting letters from anyone as it was a bit early for that. The letters were from Professor Slughorn. Only they weren't actually letters, but invitations.

Dear Mrs. Stones,

Before holidays start, this Saturday on Christmas Eve I will be hosting a small Christmas party at my Office on the sixth floor Corridor. There will be nice music and plenty of holiday delights for you to enjoy. You can come with a date, whoever you want, not only someone from the Slug Club. Hope I see you then.

Professor Slughorn.

-This sounds great. You are coming right? Blaise asked.

-Yes of course. How about you? You asked.

-Yes, I wouldn't miss it. Are going to tell Draco?

-I will. It's also our anniversary so it would be nice. But I don't think he'll come.

-Don't think like that Ariana. Why wouldn't he come?

-I don't know. It seems that he has more important things to do.

Blaise put his hand over your shoulder in an attempt to comfort you. You just knew that Draco wouldn't come. Yet you tried to remain oprimistic. You left the Great Hall and got to class. You had charms with professor Fitwick. Draco was absent. You were not surprised though since you barely saw him in classes. You only saw him at Defence Against the Dark Arts and occasionally at Potions. After Charms class you went for Quidditch practice. Marcus had you practicing for hours a new more complex technique in order to beat Gryffindor on the next match. After more than two hours of practice you, Blaise Crabbe and Goyle headed to your dormitories. After you got yourselfs nice and clean, you just sat at the common room to study. It was getting late. Crabbe and Goyle left, not for their dormitories but for the kitchens for a late night snack. When they were leaving the common room, Draco came in. His face expression was completely emotionless. When you looked at him, he gave you a smile. You felt though that it was forced. Blaise left you two alone.

-So what have you been up to? I barely even see you. You asked.

-I can't tell you Ariana. Draco replied.

-Okay. Anyway professor Slughorn is having a Christmas party on Saturday and we're supposed to go in pairs-

Draco cut you off.

-Baby you know I'd love to go to this party with you but I have a lot in my head now and I'm not in the mood for parties. Draco said.

-Okay fine.

-You are not mad Ariana, are you?

-No I'm fine.

-Okay if you say so.

-Anyway I'm going to bed. Goodnight Draco.

You went to your dorm, got changed and lied on yohr bed. At this point you didn't even care what he was doing or why he didn't want to come to the party, so you just fell asleep. The next morning you woke up. You didn't have any early morning classes so you took a book and sat by the fireplace. You weren't really reading the book, you were thinking about Draco rejecting your invitation. You weren't really expecting him to say yes but still you had some hope.