Chapter 12: Knockturn Alley

It was 20th of August and summer was coming to an end. In less than a month, you would return to Hogwarts for your sixth year. It was a peaceful evening, as you were reading the Daily Prophet, you spotted an article about Lucius Malfoy. It said that the court, judged Lucius Malfoy, to be guilty and was sentenced to life imprisonment in Azkaban. Next to this article there was a picture of Narcissa with Draco after the trial. You honestly thought that Lucius deserved to be in Azkaban, but poor Draco and Narcissa, you couldn't imagine how they'd possibly be feeling. Honestly you couldn't because Draco handn't sent you a single letter. You tried reaching out to him, but in vain. He wouldn't tell you anything, only that everything is fine and that there's nothing to worry about. You could feel it though that something was wrong, very wrong. But why wouldn't he tell you, you've been best friends since year one and nonetheless you were now a couple.

A few days past and your owl Penelope, had delivered you a letter. It was from Hogwarts. The letter was about the books you'd need this year. After that you decided to write a letter to Harry and ask him if he wanted to go to Diagon Alley, with Ron and Hermione to buy your school supplies and by the way visit the new joke shop Fred and George had opened. After you wrote it, you gave it to Penelope, as so she left. Some days past and Penelope had returned from her journey, holding a letter. It was from Harry. The letter said:

Hey Ariana,

I was glad to hear from you. Hope you are fine too, since from your letter it seemed that things aren't going too well with Draco. Anyway I contacted with Ron and Hermione and they would love to go alltogether to Diagon Alley. We will meet this Saturday outside of Flourish and Blotts, around 5:00p.m. to first buy our books and then go to the Weasley Wizard Wheezes.

See you soon.
Yours, Harry.

It was Wednesday evening and you just couldn't wait until Saturday. You thought that it was worth the cause trying to reach to Draco for one more time. You took a piece of parchment and started writing. In the letter you asked him if he would be at Diagon Alley on Saturday evening. You sealed the letter and gave it to Penelope. She flew away. For the first time you were very anxious about his reply. You really hoped that it would be positive. But your hopes were quite low since all summer he was avoiding writing to you. Until Saturday you couldn't sleep easily since you couldn't stop stressing out about Dracos reply.

Saturday finally came. But still there was no reply from Draco. Your owl also was nowhere to be seen. The hours until going to Diagon Alley seemed like an eternity. When the time was approaching, you took a bath, did your hair and got dressed up. At this point you had lost all your hopes about Draco replying. That until you saw Penelope standing outside the window holding a letter. You jumped off your bed, opened the window and took the letter. As you were reading it, your heart sank. The letter said:

Hey my love,

I'm sorry but I won't be at Diagon Alley tomorrow. I'll see you at Hogwarts.

Love you, Draco.

You really wanted to see him. You were very upset since last year and every year before you'd always meet at Diagon Alley. What was possibly keeping him from going for an hour at Diagon Alley to see you. Hadn't he missed you at all? You thought. Time was passing so you decided to head off to Diagon Alley. You reached the Leaky Cauldron and went outside from the back door. You tapped the bricks on the wall and a portal formed. The magical world was now in front off your eyes. You walked fast to the Flourish and Blotts and as soon as you got there you saw Harry, Ron and Hermione waiting for you. You greeted them and you went inside to buy your books. You told them about Draco being all distant and they also assumed that it was due to something more than just the imprisonment of his father. Then you went to Weasley Wizard Wheezes. Fred and Georges joke shop was brilliant! It was very nice, colourful and it had every kind of things, from puking pastils to love potions and extendable ears. There was even a section of muggle magic tricks. If you could use one word to describe their joke shop, would be magestic. You thought that it was even better than Zonkos Joke shop in Hogsmeade. You went of course to congratulate them. After buying a few things you left the shop.

As you stepped outside of he shop you saw Olivanders wand shop. It was completely wrecked, from what to looked like an attack, from death eaters. You all felt sad since everyone got their wands from Olivanders. But then Ron noticed something odd.

-Why are Draco and his mother lurking cautiously across the alley, trying not to be seen? Ron asked, pointing at them.

You followed them as they entered a shady looking shop, Borgin and Burkes. You hid behind a scaffolding, which allowed you to look at them from above, through a large window. Draco and his mother were looking at something tall and maybe wooden but you couldn't tell what it was exactly. They weren't alone though. There were others too, escorting them. Then someone almost saw you. You glimpsed a sneak peek of his face and you froze. It was Fenrir Greyback, a wanted warewolf. When you tried to look again inside, you couldn't since Greyback had pulled the curtain.

-Harry do you have your invisability cloak? You asked.

-Ariana no that's dangerous! What if you get caught? Hermione interfered.

-Look I know it is dangerous but I need to know what is wrong with him, I'm worried. You replied.

Harry gave you his invisability cloak. You gathered all your courage and went inside. You knew that what you were doing was wrong but Dracos strange behavior was leaving you no choice. You walked in Borgin and Burkes and spotted Draco. He was looking at an old, black, quite vintage cabinet. You took a few steps closer to them, until Greyback stood in front of you. You panicked but tried to remain calm. You couldn't help it though since he was scary looking. Greybacks eyes were fixed on you. He was so close to you, that you could even feel him breathing. You took a few steps back and that saved you since he grabbed the air, as if he had understood that someone was there. If you still were there, you would have been caught and who knows maybe you'd also be his next meal. Terrified you reached the door of Borgin and Burkes. You stayed still for a minute as Draco and his mother passed by you. Draco stopped for a second and came closer to you, sniffing the air.

-Why am I smelling Arianas perfume here? Draco asked his mother.

-Lets go Draco, perhaps some other woman passed from here and was wearing the same perfume as Ariana. Narcissa replied.

Draco stood there for a minute. You took a few steps back. Draco looked directly at you, confused. A few seconds later they all left. You run back to Harry, Ron and Hermione and took off the cloak. Fear was drawn on your face.

-What happened?? Harry asked.

-That warewolf Greyback almost caught me. And Draco could smell my perfume. You replied.

-I told you it was dangerous! Thank god though you are safe. Hermione replied.

-What were they looking at anyways? Ron asked.

-Well they were looking at an old cabinet. You replied.

Confused as you were, you left. But after all you were even more upset because Draco had lied to you. He had told you that he wasn't going to be at Diagon Alley. What possibly could he be hiding that he lied to you? You thought. You didn't know how to feel about everything.

-So Ariana, do you want to pack your trunk and come to the burrow tonight? Harry and Hermione will come too and we'll go together to get the Hogwarts Express. Ron suggested you.

-I'd love too Ron. You replied.

You went back to your house and packed your trunk. When you were done you went to the fireplace. As you were about to grab some floo powder, you heard a loud horn from outside. You went to see what it was. It was Fred and George with their fathers enchanted car. You took your trunk and went in the car.