Chapter 15: Amortentia

You woke up by the glistering rays of the sun. It was the first day of your sixth year at Hogwarts. For the first time though you weren't as excited as you were the previous years. Your mind was on what Draco had been keeping from you and why. Tears started to fall from your eyes, you were frustrated. You started thinking about Draco lying to you, ignoring you and now acting like everything is okay. Time passed and you realised you had no time for breakfast, so you decided to get changed and go straight to potions class.

Meanwhile Draco and Blaise had just finished breakfast and were on their way to the dungeons. They were both worried that they hadn't seen you at all, neither at the common room nor at the great hall. They got even more worried when Slughorn had started his lesson and you still were nowhere to be seen.

-Why isn't Ariana here? Draco whispered Blaise.

-I don't know I haven't seen her since last night. Blaise replied.

-Turn around you lunatics. Pansy told them.

You entered the class. Professor Slughorn of course let you in and didn't make much of a deal that you were a bit late. You sat next to Hermione and avoided looking Draco.

-Her eyes. They're all red. She was crying before wasn't she? That's why she was late. Blaise told Draco in a low voice.

-Yeah I can see. Why didn't she come and sit with us though? She's acting like she is trying to avoid us. Draco said.

-I think she's just trying to avoid only you Draco. Maybe it's because of what I told you last night. She could be upset that you are hiding things from her. Blaise said.

-Quiet boys. Professor Slughorn told them.

Draco and Blaise though continued talking but in a lower voice, in order to avoid getting heard. Professor Slughorn was brilliant and very kind. They way he taught the lesson of potions was different from Professor Snape, but good kind of different. He was showing you different kinds of potions, asking you what was which one of them. Of course Hermione was the only one to answer.

-Does anyone know though what this one is called? Professor Slughorn asked.

-It's called Amortentia sir. It's a love potion that causes a powerful infatuation or obsession in the drinker. Furthermore it's scent is multi-faceted and varies based on what the person likes. Hermione answered.

-Very good. 10 points to Gryffindor. Now miss Stones can you tell us what you smell?

-Sure. Uhm I smell green apples, expensive cologne and quidditch equipment. You replied.

-Interesting, very well miss Stones. Now let's continue with the last potion. This is called Felix Felicis, also known as liquid luck. It makes the drinker lucky for a period of time, during which everything they attempt will be successful. It turns an ordinary day into an extraordinary one.
This is what I will be awarding one of you today. The student that manages to make the Draugh of Living Death, will earn a vial of Felix Felicis. You'll find the instructions of how to make it on page 10. Professor Slughorn told you.

You gathered all the ingredients and started brewing it. You found some of the instructions rather wrong so you improvised a bit. You loved potions so you knew exactly what you were doing. At times you took quick glimpses of Draco and you could easily tell that he was quite uninterested. The time ended and professor Slughorn checked on your potions. He found yours almost perfect, but Harrys was completely perfect, so he was the one to win the vial of Felix Felicis. As you left the classroom you congratulated Harry and he apologized to you for the way he had talked to you on the train. You went with Harry, Ron and Hermione to the other classes. You avoided talking to Draco throughout the day.

Draco was really worried. He knew that something was wrong but he didn't know what that was. He didn't want to believe what Blaise thought was wromg with you. "Why would she be upset with me? I'm only trying to protect her" he thought. He went outside at the Courtyard with Blaise.

-I thought about what you told be while we were at potions. I don't understand, why would Ariana be upset with me? I am only trying to protect her. Draco said.

-Well I wouldn't be happy either if I were in her shoes. But still this hasn't gotten deep into her. Blaise noted.

-What do you mean?

-I mean that she smelled your scent in Amortentia. Her feelings haven't yet changed by the lies and secrets.

-Yet changed? What you think that all this may bring us apart?

-I'm just saying that keeping secrets from her and lying to her isn't the best thing to do in a relationship.

After potions you had divination and history of magic. Two lessons that you never really liked, but this time you didn't pay the least attention on them. Your body was there, but your mind wasn't. You sat with Blaise in both of tje classes. At the same time Draco didn't attend any of the other classes. He had completely disappeared. History of magic was almost unbearable. Time wouldn't pass, so you ended up talking with Blaise.

-Why Draco isn't here? You asked.

-Honestly I don't know. I haven't seen him at all since potions class ended. Blaise answered.

After this reply you didn't continue the convertation. You just wondered where was Draco, what was he doing. You found it odd because he never missed any classes. Soon class came to an end, you and Blaise went to the Great Hall for the evening feast. After enjoying your dinner, you both went back to the common room. You studied together until late at night. When you finished with your homework, Blaise was curious to learn why you were acting weird in the morning.

-Ariana, why were you late for potions this morning? Blaise asked.

- I just overslept. You replied.

-You can't lie to me Ariana. Your eyes were red when you came in class. You didn't even sit with us. The question is why?

-Fine. I was late because I was crying and I didn't sit with you because I wanted to avoid Draco.

-Why though?

-Well you see, when I went to Diagon Alley the other day, Draco told me that he wouldn't be there and all of a sudden I saw him with his mum. When you left us alone in the train, he indirectly admitted that he has been hiding things from me. And generally he was avoiding to send me letters in summer, whereas he wasn't telling me anything. And now he is acting as if everything is okay. You said with a trembling voice, your eyes filled with tears.

-Oh come here. I understand how you are feeling and it's only normal to feel this way. But I don't think he has bad intentions.

You continued sobbing in Blaises arms. Just thinking about all these made you frustrated, upset, sad. You had mixed emotions. Blaise was trying to calm you down and he was kind of successful. You and Blaise were pretty close so he knew well how to make you feel better.

While you were crying though in Blaises arms, someone was there and saw you. Draco had just entered the common room. He felt terrible seeing you cry. He didn't know whether to talk to you or go to his dorm. He went back to the dorm, since he felt that he was the cause of you crying. The only thing he knew is that he had to talk to you. Draco needed to know where your feelings stood.