Prologue

Ruth played with her fingers as she walked in silence. She hadn't seen Rosie after they had kissed a week ago. Ruth looked at the girl walking beside her and found her deep in thoughts. Maybe she was nervous too? So to break the ice, she ran across the road and did a somersault. "Rosie! Rosie! Look here!"

   What a cringy kind of nickname. Rosie. I never liked it. I loved her full name: Rosabella, A beautiful Rose. A rare name for a rare kind of girl. But she never liked her name. Why you ask? Well, that's a story for another day.

   Rosie was too deep in thoughts to notice Ruth. Ruth dusted herself off, feeling embarrassed. She walked up to her and tapped her hand. Rosie lifted her head and looked at her best friend. Finally, she smiled. Ruth smiled too. It was that kind of smile that held such adoration. "What's wrong?" Ruth asked, but Rosie simply shook her head in response.

   "If it's about last week, I'm sorry. I just got carried-"

   "No! No! I kissed you too. So don't worry. I'm just stressed about school," Rosie replied. Ruth wanted to ask her why she didn't contact her if it was nothing. But then she didn't text her too, so she just nodded and walked alongside Rosie. "The sky looks shady. I think it's gonna rain. We better get home soon," Ruth pointed out, and Rosie stopped. Ruth turned and looked at her. She gestured her to c'mon, but Rosie didn't move. "What's wrong ?"

   "What will you do if I didn't come to school tomorrow?"

   "Are you not well?" Ruth inquired, placing her hands on Rosie's head. Rosie shook her head and stepped back.

   "What if I don't come back to Bridgewood high?" For a second, Ruth thought it was a joke. It must be a joke, right? Why would Rosie leave Ruth and her other friends when they adored each other? Ruth saw something in her eyes. Was it tears? Pain? Or maybe both? She couldn't tell because Rosie was quick to blink the tears away.

   "What do you mean?" was all Ruth could ask as she tried to figure out what was going on.

   Rosie smiled and placed her hand on Ruth shoulder. But once again her expressions changed to something less soft as she spoke, "Leave Bridgewood High, Ruth. Find another school."

   "What do you mean? Did something happen in school yesterday?" Rosie shook her head once again and smiled. The incidents that had been happening the past few days were too painful to speak about. She couldn't dare to tell Ruth. So she hid it. "Just go to New York. Start your life there. Bridgewoods is going to be too sad for you," Rosie replied.

   "I have you, Ila, Amelia. Why would I be sad?" Ruth questioned. Poor thing had no clue what was going to happen.

   Rosie just laughed it off and shook her head. They were currently walking on Beatrix Lane towards the mini bridge. Rosie walked up over to the bridge and peeped down. The water below ran is full flow, making a calming sound. Rosie then turned and looked at Ruth. Ruth stood there with a frown on her face. Rosie chuckled and shook her head, "It's Nothing. Now here, take this," she said and removed her blue sweater.

   Ruth looked at the blue sweater and at Rosie. "But why? That is your lucky sweater that your mum knitted." Rosie laughed and put the sweater in Ruth's hand. "You are cold, aren't you? It is going to rain. You must be cold. You can give it to me later," Rosie stated. Rosie never gave her sweater to anyone, so Ruth didn't understand why she would give it to her. "C'mon Ruth, I want you to wear it. Please, won't you for me?"

   Ruth obeyed and wore it on. If there was a smell that Ruth loved, it was lavender. Just the way her best friend smelt. Just the way the sweater smelt. It made Ruth smile. "Damn, you look beautiful," Rosie commented. "Now go buy me a cup of ice cream. I heard that Mr.Fenwick is selling vanilla and red velvet duo today." Ruth's face lit up and she nodded. The familiar sound of Mr.Fenwick's truck was head. She started running towards it, determined to get some of her favorite flavor ice cream. The truck had stopped just around the corner of the lane. She panted heavily as she stood by his truck. Mr. Fenwick chuckled, "See, you are here for your red velvet and vanilla duo."