chapter twenty-five

spencer's pov

The past couple weeks have been absolutely amazing. I've grown super close with Blake and every week we have a girls night, along with Evie and Quinn. Ive tried to convince Darry to let us meet Alice but he won't budge. Dally and I still haven't argued since we got back together. Well, not big arguements, we'll have tiny ones about who gets to pick the food and what not.

"Spence can you get the door please?" Soda asked as I sat on the couch staring at the wall. I huffed and and got up to answer it. I opened the door and saw roses by my feet. I picked them up smiling and closed the door. I sat back on the couch and grabbed the note out of them.

"meet me at the lot
-dal"

"I'll be back later Soda!" I said."Where ya goin?!" he asked. "Meeting with Dally!" I said and walked outside. I walked down the street and turned the corner. Once I got to the lot he was sitting there quietly, staring at the ground. "Hi texas," I said and he looked up at me. "Hi doll," he smiled and I sat down next to him. "I wanna take you somewhere," He said grabbing my hand and pulling me back up.

"Where?" I asked. "You'll see, trust me," He said. "Whatever you say," I replied and walked next to him. As we walked we were getting closer to a little shop. Once we walked inside, the girl working looked at us like we were psychopaths. "Y-you arent gonna like steal anything are y-you?" she asked. "Not unless you annoy me," Dally said and I laughed and slapped his arm.

He smirked and brought me to the back of the shop. There were pictures all over the wall. He grabbed one in particular and handed it to me. It was my parents with Darry, Soda, and I when we were little, we were holding Ponyboy. My eyes blurred with tears and I hugged Dally. "How have I never seen this?" I asked. "Open the back of it," He said. I did as he said and opened it. There was three small envelopes, one for Soda, one for me, one for Ponyboy.

"What?" I whispered. "Your parents told Darry if anything ever happened to them, to bring you here when he thought you were ready, so Darry asked me to bring you today and have you give Soda and Ponyboy theirs," He said. I hugged him tight and he hugged back. I put the cover back on the picture and walked over to the cashier. "How much for this picture?" I asked. "Why do you want it?" she asked.

"It's my parents with my brothers and I," I replied. "Free," She said. I gave a grateful smile and Dally and I walked out. We walked home holding hands. When we got inside I set the picture up in the living room. "Soda, Pony come in my room," I said.  They gave each other confused looks but complied. We all sat on my bed.

"Mom and dad told Darry to give us these letters if anything ever happened to them, he thought now we were all ready," I said. I handed them each the envelope with their name. "On three?" Soda said. "One.." I said. "Two," Soda said. "Three," Pony said and we all opened them. There were two neatly fold papers inside. I grabbed the first one out and unfolded it.

"My dearest Spencer Jane,

If you're reading this, it means something unfortunate must've happened to your father and I. At the time of writing, you're 16 years old. I don't know how old you are now, maybe 18, maybe 30. Hopefully dating or married to Dallas! Even if you aren't with him, don't leave him alone. He needs you, tell him we loved him like a son.

Spencer please always remember how much dad and I love you. When I was pregnant with you and Sodapop I couldn't have been happier to find out I got two new beautiful babies.

You mean the word to me and I hope that whatever the inconvenience was, brought you closer to your family. I know it's hard being the only girl but believe me, it'll pay off.

I don't know what you'll use it for, but for all of the kids, your father and I saved a lot of money up for you to start your future. We're so proud of you Spencer and we love you to the moon and back.

love,
mom and dad.

p.s if Dally ever wants to marry you, I approve- dad"

I finished reading and laughed as tears fell from my eyes. I looked back into the envelope and grabbed the other paper. I unfolded it and it was a check.

"Holy fucking shit," I said and Soda and Pony both looked at me. "TWENTY-FIVE THOUSAND?" I yelled. "Twenty-five thousand what?" Ponyboy asked. "Dollars," I said staring at the check. "Holy shit," Soda said. "There's no way they saved all of that, is there?!" I asked. "Well they had to have gotten it somewhere if I got one too," Soda said. "So did I," Pony said.

"DARRY!" I yelled. He walked in. "what?" He asked. "How the hell did mom and dad save over 60,000 dollars?" I asked. "They never spent any of the money grandpa and grandma left them," He replied. "Dar, did you get one?" I asked. "Yeah, I found it awhile ago though," He said. "Did you get money?" Soda asked and he nodded. "I put it towards my savings," He said.

"Oh," I said. "This is insane," I said. I looked at Pony who was still crying and hugged him. "I miss them so much," He whispered. "I know, I do too," I said. "Did we all get letters from mom?" Soda asked. "I got one from dad but mom put a p.s at the end," Pony said. "I got one from mom and dad put a p.s," I said. "So did I," Soda said. "I got one from both," Darry said. "You always we're the favorite," I joked and he smiled. I walked up to Darry and hugged him.

"Don't forget how much we appreciate everything you've done for us Darry," I said. "It means a lot to hear you say that Spence," He replied. I went and hugged Soda next. "I appreciate you too Sodapop, even with all the work and through the breakup with Sandy you still found time to stay happy and be there for me," I said. "What are twins for," He said and I laughed.

"Ponyboy," I said hugging him again. "Thank you for staying the same person you've always been, best younger brother I could ask for," I said. "Good thing mom and dad were always horn-," Soda said but Darry interrupted. "Okay well let's go get some food yeah?" He said and I laughed. "Wait I need to talk to Dally," I said. "Mom and dad told me too," I added.

"They told me to talk to Johnny too," Ponyboy said. "They told me to talk to Steve," Soda said. "Poor Two-Bit," I joked. "Nah I talked to Two-Bit when I got mine," Darry said and I smiled. "Good," I said and walked into the living room. "Dal can we go on a walk?" I asked. "Sure man," He said. I held out my hand and he grabbed it. We walked to the park and sat by the fountain.

"Not to kill the mood or anything but Pony almost died here and Johnny killed a soc there," Dally said and I burst into laughter. "Sorry sorry I shouldn't laugh at that," I said composing myself. "okay well I brought you here because of what the letter my mom wrote me said," I explained.

"Okay...." He said. "They wanted you to know that they loved you like a son, and that I'm and I quote 'Hopefully dating or married to Dallas!'," I said. He laughed. "They really cared about me that much huh?" He asked. "Of course they did Dal," I said. "they loved you,"

"Not as much as I do, but they love you," I added. "I wasn't gonna do this today, but this seems like the right time," He said grabbing my hands and helping me up. I looked up and the sun was setting. He pulled something out of his pocket and got down on one knew. I covered my mouth with my hands.

"Spence, ever since we've been together, I've been a better person, and I've been the happiest I could be, happier than I ever thought I'd be," He said. "So Spencer Jane Curtis, Will you marry me?"

this chapters a lot longer than I thought it'd be lol.

(word count: 1,483)