chapter sixteen

spencer's pov

I dropped the phone and froze. "Hey Spence what's wrong?" Steve asked. "Dally got shot," I said and their eyes all went wide. We all got in the car and dove there in silence. I ran out of the car and inside the hospital before the car even stopped. I stopped at the counter and the lady looked up at me.

"Dallas Winston," I said. "He's still in surgery doll, take a seat," She said and pointed to the seats along the wall. I sat down and once the guys walked in they said they called Soda and Darry I started pacing. They also said Darry is picking up Ponyboy and then coming to the hospital. Soda is picking up Evie.

Once the others got here I was leaning against the wall. "Hey Spence any news?" Soda asked and I shook my head. "This is my fault," I said. "How?" Darry asked. "I told him I loved him he probably went off the rails or something," I said. "Spencer do not blame yourself for him getting shot, the only person to blame is the one who shot him," Darry said. I sighed and nodded. He hugged me and I hugged back.

We waited awhile longer when the doctor came out and asked the nurse for family of Dally. She pointed to us and I stood up and walked over to him with Johnny. "Well?" I asked. "It was a very difficult surgery, the bullet was lodged between two organs and if we made a wrong move it could've killed him," He said. "That's not very reassuring," I said.

"We successfully removed the bullet and he's in the recovery room, you can go see him now in room 308," He said and I booked it down the hall. I went into the room as the nurse walked out and sat on his bed. He was still asleep. The rest of the gang, and Evie, walked in and stood there silently. I grabbed his hand and waited.

Eventually I felt him squeeze my hand and I looked up at him. He was looking at me and I smiled. I carefully hugged him and he hugged back. After everyone else high fived him or hugged him I sat there looking at the floor while holding his hand. Everyone discreetly left the room so I could talk to him.

"Can you tell me what happened please?" I asked barely audible. "I don't know, I was a little flustered after I left your house and I was walking down the street and saw some guys fighting, I wanted to blow of some steam so I just got involved until one of the guys pulled a gun out and shot me and ran," He explained.

"Did you wanna blow of steam because of me?" I asked. "What?" he asked. "Because of what I said before you left," I said. "I-I don't know Spence," He said. "Yes you do, you just don't wanna say it's my fault," I said. "It's not your fault, I just don't know how you can love me," He said. "Elaborate," I said. "I'm unloveable," He said. "That's not true Dallas," I said. "You can't love me! you'll get hurt or
killed or something Spence I've got enemies!" He said.

"That's a risk I'm willing to take! Why'd you start dating me if you didn't wanna play the long game?" I asked standing up. "I do! I just don't know how to
love!" He said. "You clearly did something right otherwise I wouldn't have fallen in love with you!" I said. He sighed and reaches his arm as far as he could. I grabbed his hand and sat back down next to him. "Dally I wouldn't have said I love you if you were unloveable," I whispered and kissed his forehead.

"What does love feel like for you?" he asked. "Well I always seem to be in a state of euphoria with you, I'm always excited and happy, and I always feel at home and safe when you're around," I said. "Well then I guess..... I guess I love you too Spencer," He said and I smiled and locked eyes with him. "You tell anyone I said the L word I'll kill you," He said. "Shut up," I said and kissed him.

"Ok ok we get it you're dating," Evie said and I laughed and pulled away. "Everything work out alright?" Steve asked and I nodded. "If you ever need to blow off some steam, maybe use a punching bag not a human," I said and kissed Dallys cheek. "Visiting hours are over sorry guys," The doctor said walking in. "I'll be back tomorrow okay Dal?" I said and he nodded. "Bye Dal," Most said. "Bye man," Dally said and I laughed as I walked out of his room.

"I'm real glad Dal is alright," Johnny said. "Me too Johnnycakes," Ponyboy said. "Glad everything was alright with y'all too," Evie said to me. "Yeah I was a little worried for a second there," Two-Bit said. "It's nice to know y'all like us together," I laughed. "I've never seen you happier than you are with him, at least not since mom and dad," Darry said. I smiled at him.

"He makes me happy," I said. "That's a good thing," Steve said. "We gotta find Two-Bit and Johnny some girlfriends now," Sodapop said ruffling Johnny's hair. "Ah come on Soda," Johnny said fixing his hair and we all laughed as we got in the car. "We can look through the yearbook from last year and see if there's any hot chicks for y'all," Steve said and
Two-Bit raised an eyebrow smirking.

"No girl could like me," Johnny said. "Now that's not even close to true and you know it Johnny," I said. "What's not to like about ya Johnny you're sweet," Evie said. "Funny," I said. "Charming," Evie said. "Protective," I said. "Hey why don't you two just date him," Darry said to us and we laughed. We dropped Evie off at home and everyone else went to their own houses. I got inside mine and took off my
shoes.

"I'm gonna go shower," I said. "Alright," Soda said. "Don't slip," Pony said and we all laughed. "You goin to bed Dar?" I asked looking at him as he headed for his room. "Think I'll wind down early for once, get some nice rest," He said. "Goodnight superman," I said and closed the bathroom door.

This chapter is longer than usual so I hope you like it!

(word count: 1,101)