chapter ten

spencer's pov

"Spence wake up," I opened my eyes and Soda was standing over me. "What time is it?" I asked. "bout 9, read the paper," he said. I grabbed it off the coffee table and it said Johnny and Ponyboy killed a boy. Oh great. "There's no way they're too sweet!" I said throwing it down. Soda just shook his head.

"I'll be back," I said putting on my jacket. "Where you going?" He asked. "Bucks," I said and stormed out. When I got inside I asked Buck where Dally was but when I did Dally walked in. I grabbed him by the shirt and shoved him into the wall. "Kinky," he said and I rolled my eyes. "Where are they?" I asked angrily. "Who?" He asked. "You know who Dallas where is my brother?!" I yelled.

"I can't tell ya cause I don't know doll," He said. "I hate you sometimes," I said. "I know," He replied and took my hand off his shirt. "Where were you anyway?" I asked. "I was at the police station, they asked me where they were," He said sitting down. "you do know!" I said. "I didn't tell them, I said they were headed for Texas," He said.

"Come with me," I said and he just stared at me. "Now!" I yelled and he got up. "You're scary when you're mad," He said and I punched his arm. We got back to my house and Two-Bit was pacing. "Where are they?!" Two asked panicked. "I don't know," I said. "Dal?" He said. "I told em' Texas," Dally said and Two-Bit ran to the door. I grabbed him by the collar and sat him down. "They aren't in Texas Two he's lyin," I said and he sighed.

6:00

We were all sitting around the living room when there was a knock on the door. I opened it and saw Bellamy. "Look Belle I know we said tonight but my brother and friend are missing," I said. "I planned to have a date tonight," She said. "And I planned to have my brother safe and sound in the house but we can't always get what we want can we?" I exclaimed. "I want my date tonight Spencer and I'll be damned if I don't get it," She said. I gave her a fake smiled and slammed the door and locked it.

"You're gonna pay for that Curtis!" She yelled and I sat back down. "I could've gone Spence," Two said. "You ain't in the right head space," I replied. "This is all my fault," Darry said. "No it isn't Dar," Soda said. "Nobody blames you Darry," I said. "I blame me," He replied. "Don't blame yourself," We all said in unison. "Things happen for a reason whether they're good or bad," I said. "I know," He said.

"Dal can I talk to you?" I said standing up. He nodded. I held out my hand and he took it and followed me to my room. I sat on my bed and he closed the door. He laid next to me and pulled me into his arms. "Do you know where they are?" I whispered. He didn't say anything. "Please just tell me they're safe," I said. "They're safe I promise doll," He said.

I turned my body around and looked up at him. "When you go see them tell them I love them," I said. "Who said I was gonna see them?" He asked. "I know you will," I said and he gave me a fake smile trying to comfort me. It didn't really work but I smiled back. "I know you're worried but I ain't gonna let what happened to me happen to them," He said. "I know," I whispered barely audible. A tear fell down my cheek and he looked down at me.

"Don't cry Spence they're gonna be okay," He said wiping it away. "I hope they will be," I said. He grabbed my chin and turned my head so I was looking at him. "I'm not good at emotions but just trust me okay?" He asked. "I do," I replied.

time skip to hospital

I walked into the hospital behind Soda and Darry behind me. Pony ran over once he saw us and hugged Soda. "Oh look at your tuff hair," Soda said. "We get it but I missed him too," I said shoving Soda and I hugged Pony. "I missed you so much kiddo," I whispered. "I missed you too," He said. He hugged Darry and I realized Darry was crying. "I thought we lost you like we did mom and dad," Darry said. We all hugged again and Darry said we were gonna go home.

"I wanna-," "Go see if they'll let you see him and I'll come back in like 20 minutes," Darry interrupted me. "Thank you," I said and ran over to the desk. "Can I see Dallas Winston please?" I asked her. "Are you family?" she asked. "No but I-," "Then you can't see him," She said. "But I'm the closest thing to family he has," I said. "Doesn't matter sweetheart you ain't family," She said chomping her gum.

"Please I'm his...girlfriend just let me see him!" I yelled. "Let her in, he asked for her," A man said. "Room 203," She said and I ran in and hugged Dally immediately. "You scared the shit out of me you asshole!" I yelled shoving him after I hugged him. "Ow geez man I'm sorry blame your brother he went into the fire," He said. I shook my head and hugged him again. "So you're my girlfriend now?" He whispered. "You hear that?" I asked.

"You basically told the whole hospital duckie," He said laying back down. "I just wanted them to let me see you," I said. "I wouldn't mind if you were my girl," He said and I laid next to him. "Have you thought about that at all?" He asked. "Maybe," I said. "Well?" He asked. "If you think we can make it work," I said. "I think we won't know until we try," He replied. "Then let's try," I said. "Really?" He asked. "Really, almost losing you opened my eyes," I said.

"I'm glad, I just hope we don't lose Johnny man," He said. "I know," I replied. I looked up at him and kissed him. A little while later Darry came back and took me home.

(word count: 1,080)