💕 Maybe, Just Maybe 💕

I'm still holdin' on to you but I know you're already gone 
It's still not over for me, I'm still wakin' up to you 
I've been holdin' on for too long 
- when was it over?, Sasha Sloan - 

--- 

As usual, Sarawat reached home and connected his phone to the Bluetooth speaker in his living room. It was his way of filling the void in his heart, which someone had left behind and also, to make the empty unit less empty, as if someone was there accompanying him.

He opened the refrigerator tiredly, only to find that there was only microwave food left in the storage compartments. He got himself the second last box of food and also a bottle of fruit juice from the side panel.

Tine, I miss you. I need you. Where are you?

Of all uncertainties in life, Sarawat was certain that it was going to be a cold and lonely night ahead for him.

///

Scrubb's songs were blasting through the speaker and Sarawat sat casually on the king-sized bed, strumming his guitar depressingly according to the melody of the songs.

He felt the sting of tears from the back of his eyes, he tried to suppress himself from crying tonight. But he was failing miserably, streams of tears flowed down his face, moistening his sharp features like an overflowed dam.

"Tine." His voice was so soft, even the walls wouldn't hear him clearly.

His gaze was fixed on the photo on the bedside table. It was a photo taken a few years back, when Sarawat insisted Tine to wear a blue wig during the university's open day and take a photo with him. He was looking at Tine fondly when the photographer pressed the shutter.

They were still fake-dating that time, trying to steer Green away from disturbing Tine. Tine was trying to court Pear and asked Sarawat if Sarawat could play a song to help him in courting his crush. Despite Sarawat's heart was shattered into pieces upon hearing that request, he still pleaded with his seniors to include a Scrubb's song into their performing song list.

He was expecting to see Tine and Pear being lovey-dovey as he played the song on stage, but he was wrong. He only saw Tine, standing alone among the crowd, without Pear. A tiny glimpse of hope was ignited in Sarawat.

Maybe, just maybe, this is my chance.

Unlike Tine who wanted Sarawat to pretend to court and date him, Sarawat poured his hearts out when he was with Tine. He had fallen in love with the cheerleader way before they met in the university.

Sarawat had spent a year attending all Scrubb's concerts, big or small, out of town or in the town, mornings or evenings, tirelessly to look for that boy, who bumped into him during the concert. As Man had jokingly said, that boy had bumped into Sarawat's heart.

Not being able to ask for his contact number after the concert used to be Sarawat's biggest regret, but now, that was his second biggest regret in his life.

Maybe, just maybe, this is me loving him from afar.

///

Tine knew he was a coward, an idiotic coward.

He should've guarded his heart well, not allowing anyone in while he was still confused about his own sexual orientation. Yet, he made a mistake by letting Sarawat in.

It all started as a fake date between the two of them, but what went wrong?

Tine noticed all the signs of a person falling in love happening to him. His increasing heartbeats when Sarawat leaned in, his fidgety limbs when there were only two of them left in the club room and his empty mind when Sarawat looked at him affectionately.