18 - Meeting/Clash

Can: The plane taking me back to Istanbul landed exactly one month before my planned return date, I managed to finish the job well in advance.
I couldn't wait any longer, it has been five endless months during which I have done nothing but think about her, now I have to find a way to see her and talk to her.
First of all I'll go to the agency to ask Emre, maybe I can convince him to give me some information on how to find her.

Sanem: It's done, today is the big day and I decide to prepare carefully as the delivery and presentation of the project is scheduled. I am both excited and scared to death, the outcome of this competition is too important to me. I have invested almost three months of my life in this job and all the energy I could muster to prove to everyone and myself that I could do it.
I go to the agency to get the freshly printed material to deliver to HXC Cosmetics.

Can: I stop for a moment in front of the building that has housed Fikri Harika for decades, realising that I have missed it. I enter at a brisk pace through the sliding door greeting the girls at reception and climb the stairs with my heart in turmoil. How many memories of her are there at every corner I look, I miss her now more than ever I am acutely aware of it.

Sanem: Everything is ready, the last check on the perfectly printed and bound material, the copy of the presentation saved on several USB sticks to avoid any technical problems, and I am ready. I leave my office and climb the stairs to the upper floor to meet Deren, it's time, we have to go and present our project to HXC Cosmetics.

Can: I get to the floor of Fikri Harika and look around.
How I've missed that bright and colourful space, I've always loved the creative energy everywhere in these offices that are buzzing with activity at all hours of the day.
I meet one of the guys from the team who greets me as he walks past, I turn to greet him doing the same as I am eager to see my brother.
In an instant it happens, I find myself catapulted into a scene I have already experienced, wrapped in a perfume I cannot forget and holding in my arms a woman's body I cannot fail to recognise.

Sanem: I get to the top of the stairs and look down at the various folders I have to carry with me, terrified that I might have forgotten some of them, and in a split second I find myself on a journey back in time. I'm catapulted back to my second day of work here at the agency, I'm the usual careless one who keeps bumping into people, I'm in those strong arms, I'm looking surprised at those features that, I couldn't have known then, would become so dear to me with time.
I open my eyes wide in disbelief, it can't be, am I dreaming?
What is Can Divit doing here?

Can: I am in disbelief, I breathe in her wonderful scent at the top of my lungs, my eyes eagerly scan her face.
How can she have become even more beautiful than I remember?
What is she doing here?
What a wonderful feeling to have her back in my arms after all this time, my heart beats to the maddening rhythm of a thousand emotions: love, passion, longing, astonishment, tenderness and regret. I would like to speak, I would like to tell her how much I have missed her but I hold my breath for fear of breaking the spell of this magical moment.

Sanem: I can't breathe, I'm afraid she can feel the crazy rhythm of my heart beating hard against her chest, I'm in her arms and for a few moments I feel like I'm dreaming. I close my eyes and inspire that scent of his, so masculine and unique, I open them again to observe him. He has cut his hair, he looks so different but at the same time familiar as only the man I loved with all my being can be. The tanned face, the magnetic gaze that observes me attentively, we remain for endless moments looking at each other in disbelief until reality comes back.

- Sanem? Can? -

Deren speaks, astonished to see us close in an embrace as much as we are to find ourselves in this moment so close.
In an instant all the reality of what has been comes back, I break away from her grasp and move away, trying to regain composure.
Can continues to look at me with a look of disbelief and a smile that I would almost describe as smug.

It is the arrival of Emre that interrupts this silent dialogue made of looks full of a thousand conflicting emotions for both of us.

- Can? What are you doing here? I wasn't expecting you for a month -

He answers without removing his gaze from me - I decided to come back earlier -

- I'm glad brother, you'll tell me everything when I come back, but now excuse us but we have to go to HXC Cosmetics to deliver our project for the contest -

Can: Emre's words catch my attention, I look at him then back at Sanem who, I now realise, is carrying her computer and work bags.

- Do you have to go Emre? -

-Yes, me Deren and the creative director in charge of the campaign project -.

I look back at him - Inci Kirmiz? -

I see a questioning look appear on my brother's face for a moment, then Sanem moves towards me and confidently extends her hand in greeting.

- Hello Can Divit, I'm Inci Kirmiz, the creative director of Fikri Harica who was in charge of the HXC Cosmetics advertising campaign.

If you want to come to the presentation, you're welcome to join us, because if we win the competition, you'll be the creative director who will have to do it, as tomorrow is my last day of work here at Fikri Harika.

She shakes my hand briefly and then signals to Deren to follow her, moving resolutely towards the exit without giving me more than a glance and leaving me there with my mouth open in amazement.

I turn to look questioningly at Emre, who shrugs his shoulders - I'm sorry Can, she only accepted my proposal to be the creative director of the project on the condition that you didn't know anything about it. Ask yourself why she did it and then try to recriminate in some way if you think you can afford it. I'm going to HXC Cosmetics, what are you going to do? Are you coming too? -

I can't help but nod and follow him, completely bewildered by the totally unexpected turn of events, I thought I would have to go looking for her who knows where, but instead she fell into my arms an hour after landing in Istanbul.

I'm intrigued by this new Sanem, so self-confident and strong-willed, now that I know she's the creative director I wonder how I could have missed her unmistakable creativity in the project, it's typical of her to think so originally and outside the box.

I was somewhat impressed by the work of this phantom Inci Kirmiz, I liked her direct approach and witty observations, but I certainly never expected it to be her. The tea and photocopy girl has come a long way, I feel a sense of pride in her skill and resourcefulness, she can make anything special, the woman I fell in love with.

I sigh as I walk down the stairs to the car park of the agency with Emre, from the way things are going I'm starting to fear that my attempt at reconciliation will not be easy at all, I can only hope that all is not lost and that a trace of that feeling that bound us in the past has remained even if buried under tons of disappointment and disillusionment.