Catch me, I'm Falling 2 (Sakata Gintoki)

Start from the beginning

"Wha—" (Y/N) gasped offendedly, "Hey. Don't pin the blames on me, I told you not to do it."

I was simply referring to the events of the day before where I tried to put some books at the top shelf by going up on a step ladder but ended up falling.

"......Heh," I scoffed and looked away. "You wouldn't catch me even if you could,"

"....What's that supposed to mean?" (Y/N) says in a low voice, she probably caught on that I mean something else when I said those words.

"Nothing," I replied casually, trying to play it cool and hope she doesn't notice. She could be a bit of an airhead sometimes.

Fortunately, (Y/N) decided not to think more and just picked up a book while I stared at her.

"Hey......" I gulped nervously, trying not to let my voice crack— as I clench my fist.

"Hm?"

She looked up from her book, her eyes on me. I can never get tired of her— It's been years and years, but I still— fall in love every time she looks at me.

"I'm....." My throat felt dry, words didn't want to come out of my mouth as if begging me not to say anything.

"I'm gonna try my best—" I finally say, my voice getting louder as if I had found confidence lying somewhere on the ground.

Looking at her dumbfounded look, I couldn't help but question myself. Seriously, what's wrong with me?

"—and, I'm gonna make you change your mind." I declare loudly, but she just tilted her head at me.

"....uhm...about what exactly??.."

"Me." I smirked at her, that's right— I don't need to hide or hold back now.

It's time that I do this right.

"I'm gonna make you fall for me, (Y/N)."

—and in the spur of the moment, I declared my war of love on her.

'WHYYYYYYY?????' I panicked as soon as I got out of that shop and away from her dumbstruck face.

"WHY DID I SAY THAT? WHERE DID I GET THAT CONFIDENCE???"

I crouch down and clutch my head in my hands. How stupid was I to say that I would change her mind— I've been trying to do that for years but up until now I had no luck!!

"Damn it....What should I do?" I groan, feeling helpless and restless at my stupid actions.

I look up to the sky, my eyelids drooping down. I've been by her side for more than 10 years trying to make her love me— what makes this so different from all those years I've spent in my unrequited love?....

"....I'm such an idiot."

I said those those despite knowing what the outcome would be— I've never made her look at me once, what will change this time?

I couldn't ever change her mind— how can I even dream of changing her heart?

A week had passed by without me noticing, everyday I came to her shop, hang out with her and just— accompanied her.

I don't even know if I have any effect on her— she's acting the same as usual.

Today, I was here with her again.

My eyes cast downwards, while she sat opposite of me and arranged books.