Chapter 32 - Rest

Four years ago, the village was experiencing a drought. Adding to the problem was the rising number of the honkai beast outside of the village. Driven into a corner, the village decided to offer a sacrifice to the village's guardian deity. At that time, the village decided to offer Sakura's sister, Yae Rin.

Being someone who belong to the Yae bloodline, they had a high chance of getting the blessing of the gods. Or so she say, from Glynne perspective though, the blessing is more like a natural forming stigmata.

Putting that aside, Yae Rin was always been sickly ever since she was little. The village took this as a sign of the girl with a high likelihood of getting great power. This has become the main reason why she was chosen.

Back then, Sakura tries to go against the decision of village. Yae Rin after all is the only family she had left. She tries to run away with her little sister to a faraway place. She even promise to find someone that would be able to treat her illness.

However, it was for a naught. In the end, she wasn't able to do anything. She failed to protect her little sister as she watched the blade pierce though Yae Rin's chest.

"I see, something like that happened, huh..." Glynne muttered upon hearing Sakura's story. "I'm sorry..."

Seeing the young man's apologetic looks, Sakura showed a soft smile. "No worries, it is already an old story."

Though she said that, Glynne could tell she has not move on yet. He could tell, that is because he also the same. Looking at her, he gritted his teeth as he tried to restrain a certain memory of his from resurfacing. "Then, are you okay wi-"

"Is it not supposed to be my turn to ask now?" Sakura pointed out, interrupting the young man's question.

Glynne furrowed his brows but he did not voice any complains. Just how much does his plans keeps on biting back at him? He wanted some answers but from the looks of it, he needs to postpone it for now.

Having been given the go sign, Sakura asked an unexpected question. "What are you to Theresa?"

Glynne was taken aback and got confused to what he need to respond. Did she mean their relationship? Or isn't perhaps she is pertaining what he view himself to Theresa? He scratched his chin, feeling a bit awkward as he look up to the night skies illuminated by the full moon.

"I owe my life to Theresa." Glynne replied. "Back then before I have met her, I lost everything. I don't have any reason or even any will to live. Day by day, I'm just living by following the orders. I am nothing but a broken puppet."

Glynne paused as he looked at his palm. Slowly, he closed his hands into a fist and remembered his past. However, he soon loosen it up as a memory of the girls flashed in his mind. "Honestly, I don't know how much I'm grateful to her. I failed once, however, she gave me another chance. I... I don't want to repeat my mistakes ever again. For this time, I will keep everyone I know safe no matter what."

"I see," Sakura nodded. She wasn't sure if what she said at the meeting about him is true. However, seeing his determination, she has no doubts that she made the right choice.

"... Of course, that includes you too, Sakura."

"Eh" Sakura was taken aback by Glynne's words. She is of course confused by it. She did nothing noteworthy for him to care about her.

Glynne chuckled. Of course, she would not know of his reason. After all in this timeline, their relationship didn't proceed as the first one. Still, even if everything resets, he would forget any gratitude he has even if the people don't remember it anymore.

Catching the silhouette of the tori gate by the corner of his eyes, Glynne judges that their talk would end soon. It was unfortunate, he still has a lot of questions left for her. He had no other, he should end it here with one final question.