chapter seventeen: the co-star

31st August 1984 ~ London, U.K. Michael's pov

"oh look who it is." i hear a man's voice. i turn around to look who it was.
Neaveah's hand started sweating as she squeezed my hand tighter.
"walk away chad." ralph spoke up with a harsh voice "turn around and walk away, we're in front of thousands of fans and media outlets.. you don't want them knowing what kind of man you really are" ralph gritted.
"what kind of man i am???" chad said, laughing slightly. "i'm not the one sleeping with my co-star." chad slit his eyes at ralph. i quickly looked at ralph and narrowed my eyes "fuck you, chad. fuck you. you piece of shit." ralph snapped and turned to neveah "come in veah" he nodded to a different direction "let's go, let's get you out of here."

"so you can fuck her again?" chad chuckled "little bit of a slut aren't you?? you was laying it out to all of us on set, isn't that right william??" chad grinned looking at william. my heart pace quickened "that's my girl you're talking about, now i suggest you carry on walking."
"fuck you, you know you're really sick, man. do you know that?!" william snapped "i thought of you as a friend on set! until you did what you did!" william added
"you was hitting on a taken woman, william. i'm not the one that is sick" chad shrugged smugly

"you're such a piece of shit! neveah, let's go" ralph started to pull on her other hand. she sniffled and walked off with ralph quickly.
i gritted my teeth and looked back at chad "you're so lucky thousands of people are here." i told him. "michael don't" bill said from behind me, "there's so many people here, don't do anything stupid."

"do as he tells you, mike. your girl is fine as hell, go take care of her."

i go to lunge at him but william grabs chad by his neck and wraps his arm around his neck and turns chad away and walks off with him.
i let out a puff of air, my heart rate is still quickening as the seconds to by.
"where did veah go?" i asked bill. "it looked like ralph took her to that tent." bill pointed to a white tent. i jogged over there squeezing past people and apologising. i opened the tent flap and saw neveah sat on a chair crying into ralph's chest. i watched them carefully.

"i don't think i can ever move on from this, ralph" she cried. he shushed her softly "i wish i could tell you i understood, but i don't. i really don't, i never will understand. all i can do is be here for you, veah. you can come to me day and night, no matter the time." ralph told her.
i'm glad she has him. i'm thankful for him and how he saved her from another assault and i hope he knows that. i don't believe i've actually even told him that.
"shall i go get michael for you? make sure he hasn't caused a scene out there with chad?" ralph said softly to my fiancée. "please." she sniffled.

"no need." i decided on speaking up, as i leant against the table.
ralph let go of neveah and cleared his throat "i'm sorry - she was crying and i-"

i shook my head cutting him off, giving him a smile, "don't worry about it ralph. thank you. thank you so much for being that friend veah needs, it means everything to her, and it means everything to me."
ralph smiled softly and nodded "i adore her... you've got yourself the most amazing fiancée. look after her, i can't be there all the time." he said softly.
i nodded "i know i have, and i will."

"i'll go find shelly, she can fix up your makeup." ralph told neveah as he rubbed her shoulder softly and got up. he began to walk to the exit beside me, so i held my hand out and stood up straight. we shook hands and he smiled brightly "thank you, ralph. i really mean that. you're welcome at hayvenhurst anytime." i told him, lowering my voice.
"thank you so much, michael. i'll see you around." he shook my hand firmly and walked out of the tent to go find shelly, neveah's makeup artist.

i look over at neveah who is sniffling into her hands. i let out a sigh and go to sit with her.
"you okay baby?" i asked her stupidly, she looked up at me like i was too. i made a face and apologised quickly.
"i didn't do what he said michael, i didn't and haven't slept with ralph. and about william flirting.. he did.. but it was all innocent. not once did he act on it or go any further than just flirting. he only ever told me i was pretty- and you were a lucky man- and how he thinks that—"

"baby... i don't care. i'm not bothered about any of that. did you really think i believed him??" i asked her making her shut up immediately. i softened the tone of my voice and lowered my brows "of course i didn't believe him, he's a animal who needs locking up."

"i can't! i can't go to the police, they will not believe me!" she said quickly, shaking her head, going straight into panic mode.
"i never said you should report it, i just said he needs locking up. he's a danger to women, so is the other guy." i told her.
"i love you baby" i said softly.
"i love you too, michael." she said looking into my eyes with a gaze that makes my stomach tickle.
"come 'ere." i bring her into a tight hug.

"let's get your makeup sorted, go out there and show them two animals that you won't let their manipulative ways get to you. that you're stronger than them. make them shake. make them panic. show them the badass bitch you are." i said jokingly making her giggle immediately and wipe her tears. that's what i wanted from her.
i smiled brightly. "yeah. let's do that."

"you and ralph are the stars of tonight, the stars of the film. don't let them two nobodies ruin both of your nights. this is your special night. you deserve the success and attention you will get after tonight, i promise you that." i grin at her and she nodded shyly.