chapter ten: her co-star

june 1984: michael's pov

"i asked her to marry me.." i sniffle as mother holds me "she said she couldn't." i cried a little harder "she doesn't want me anymore.. what am i going to do?? i just want her. i told her i'd give up everything for her... i-" i hiccup from crying "i really would" i sniffled into my mother's shoulder.
"i'm sure there's a perfectly reasonable explanation as to why she can't marry you... did she say?" mother spoke so softly to me.
"no..." i cried harder "that's what hurts mum. she doesn't want to marry me? okay.. that hurts. it hurts more that i have no idea why!"

"because she's a slut. i'm telling you michael.. she's fucking her co-star. don't you think it's weird? he's always around. he's always around her. have you SEEN how he looks at her? he looks at her how you do. you just to blind to see it, brother."
"jermaine." mother scolds "do not disrespect her and talk about her like that when she isn't here to defend herself. do not use such horrible words!"

i pull out of the hug from mother and sigh wiping away my tears as i sob "fuck you jermaine." i sob a little harder. jermaine laughs "don't take it out on me mike, you need to find a girl who's going to be faithful. not some slut who's taking advantage of you."

"boy, your mother told you to not say shit like that." joseph stormed in the kitchen and pulled jermaine out slamming the door behind him.
"michael?" joseph said in his stern voice. i didn't reply. i just cried into my hands. "michael." his voice went softer.
"don't listen to jermaine. has she ever, ever given you any reason to not trust her?"

i looked up at my parents.

mother gasped. i shook my head and bit my lip "no, no she hasn't-"
mother let out a sigh of relief.
i continued "but she is always with him. she stays at his. he stays at hers..."

"they're friends michael." my mother sighed "they're co-stars. they built up a friendship. they're good friends. you really don't have a thing to worry about, i promise you."
joseph agreed with my mother. "and anyway, mike," joseph said softly.. my heart almost fluttered, he's never called me mike. it's always been michael or boy.. but boy was only ever used if i was in trouble. "i don't really think he's her type. she's always gone for black men. she was with Damien. he is black. this ralph kid.. isn't black."

"doesn't mean he's not attractive." i was now calm, i had stopped crying.

"attractive? who?" latoya walked into the kitchen.
"ralph macchio.." i said softly with a sigh.
"ohhh yeah," latoya squeaked "he's really hot."
"what?" i furrowed my brows at my big sister. she laughed "he's hot. i'm jealous of neveah."
"why are you jealous?!" i almost snapped. she furrowed her brows at me "because she's friends with him? he's hot. she hasn't even put in a good word for me either." she clicked her tongue in annoyance.

"great." i rolled my eyes "see." i turned back to joseph "he is attractive. neveah probably thinks that too. neaveah is stunning, he's most probably attracted to her."

"she is allowed to be attracted to other people michael." latoya narrowed her eyes at me.
"you aren't the only man who she finds hot and attractive. you'll never be just the only man she thinks that about. and if you think she does or you think she should think that way then that is really toxic and you have problems." she stated, not holding back on her opinion. but then again, when does she EVER?? "there's always going to be someone who she finds attractive." she shrugged getting the milk out from the fridge "you cannot tell me you don't find other women attractive?!" she laughed hysterically at me

"what about your all time crush?? diana ross. you'd drop neveah on her arse in a heartbeat if diana called and asked you to be with her... heck, you'd drop Nevi on her arse just IF diana called, and ONLY called. forget about the relationship."

"no i wouldn't." i furrow my brows at my sister "i love neaveah.. i love her with everything i have. i'd never do that to her."
latoya rolled her eyes "of course. the classic man's line." wow.
"ok then.. brooke shields. stephanie mills. i can go on all day. you find those women attractive. and yes. they're absolutely beautiful. you aren't being stopped from finding other women beautiful so why can't she find any other man attractive?" she questioned me. i had no answer. "you aren't the only attractive guy in the world michael. but to her, you're the only one who she wants."

i scoffed "she doesn't want me though. does she? if she did, she wouldn't say no to marrying me." i snapped at my older sister who gasped in return "YOU ASKED HER TO MARRY YOU?! WHEN?!" she got loud and squeaky "your voice is very annoying." i commented casually.
"twat." she said back.
"latoya!" mother snapped at the same time joseph snapped "michael!"

i gave a exasperated look at him and he nodded to latoya making me sigh "sorry, toy" i say softly.
"hmmm, best be." she rolled her eyes drinking some milk.
"anyways, you asked her to MARRY you?? when????? where?!"

"yes i did." i smiled softly thinking about married life with her. then i frowned remembering her answer "she said no. i asked her today... at the dance studio." i told my sister, who laughed at my answer.
"damn. no wonder she said no. i would too if i was her."
i gave her a look while joseph and katherine scolded her.
"is that really why she said no? because i asked her at the dance studio?" i asked, stupidly.

"michael. do you really think she'd want to say yes to someone who can't be bothered to even make it romantic?"

i thought for a second.

"that's why she didn't give me a reason to not marry me." i perked up. my mother gave a unsure look, "i need to make it romantic!!" i stood up quickly and turned to my mother and sister "please help me. this needs to be perfect." i clapped my hands excitedly "she'd never say no after this" i said feeling excited already.

—————————————————————
what has michael got up his sleeve do we think??? will he ask her after making it all romantic??? the most important question is.... will neveah say yes to michael's proposal or her hand in marriage? will she turn him down like the first time?? but, will she give a reason this time???
find out in the next chapter!!