chapter one: crushing

January 1983

"you're only a few years older than me, idiot." i push Randy making him trip near the pool making me laugh hysterically.
"would you stop it!" he scolded me, he tried so hard to stay serious but he ended up laughing which made us both laugh more

michael's pov:
"will you just stop staring at her and ask her out!?" janet slapped my shoulder "janet!" mum scolded her making me laugh and bite my lip.
"she is right though son, you should just ask her out." my mum said softly. we're all sat in the kitchen of hayvenhurst while Randy and Neveah are out in the back garden messing around near the pool.
i groaned and rubbed my thigh with my hand "it's not that simple, mother. she's beautiful and i'm... me?" i frowned looking at her. "she's also so young" i frowned
janet shrugged "she's 17 and beautiful. she's 18 soon... in a matter of days"

she was beautiful. she is beautiful. her natural complexion is golden. she has long brown hair with small pieces of silvery blonde. she has the most beautiful blue eyes i have ever seen. her -

"what are you trying to say, michael?" my mother said softly. i snapped out of my intent gaze upon 'Veah and looked at my mom, while blushing.
i cleared my throat and shook my head slightly "she's way too good for me"

Joseph walked in the kitchen and went to the fridge "no she isn't michael.. ok maybe she's gorgeous but you're you.. you're amazing, talented and so handsome."

joseph laughed after my mother said that. i immediately felt small again.

"are we on about michael fancying Neveah but not being manly enough to admit it to her?" he turned to us.
"it's not like that..." i trailed off "what is it like then michael. you like her, it's obvious, you have for a while. swallow your pride and ask the girl out...." he took a drink. was he supporting me in something?? "although, she really is too good for you." he laughed and walked out of the kitchen.

i frowned and slouched against my hand.

"michael why don't you go ask her if she wants a drink." mother caught my attention. i looked at my mother and sighed, she's always trying to play match maker "ok..." i cleared my throat and got up. i walked out into the back garden of hayvenhurst and watch Neveah as she sun bathes beside Randy.
"'Veah, do you want a drink??" i called out standing on the patio. she opened her eyes and sat up, shielding her eyes with her right hand from the sun so she could see me properly "oh it's ok! i'll get my own, but thank you mike." she says smiling softly.

it makes my heart pump a little faster. she gets up and walks along the side of the pool and smiles at me as our eyes connect as she comes closer. i open the door for her so she can enter the house and she thanks me.
"kate will you tell your youngest son that he can't keep bossing me around" Neveah jokes around with my mom as i walk back to the table and sit down and watch her.

"why what is he doing, honey." my mum laughs joyfully. "he's saying that when the boys go on the tour that i can't come because the crew members will hit on me again." she frowns making me chuckle
"of course you can go!! ignore Randy!" mother scoffs "isn't that right michael? she's welcome at the tour isn't she?" mother turns to me smirking evilly.

"yeah of course! it'll be nice to have you there." i smiled at 'Veah.
she laughs softly "i wasn't gonna pass up on the opportunity of missing out on seeing some on my favourite songs live again" she chuckled looking around the kitchen

i start grinning "oh yeah? like what? what are your favourites?" i asked her.
"blame it on the boogie. shake your body." she turned to me with a glass of black current and apple juice. one of her favourite drinks ever. i grinned at her "those are you favourites?"

she nodded laughing "yeah, i have other favourites through"
"what are your other favourites??" i ask her softly "i'll be there is just a classic... i love that. so i'm excited for motown 25 in a few months" she told me. i nodded smiling softly "i'm glad you like them...motown is going to be good.." i grinned even harder "i bet" she nodded smiling "i'm excited for the tour though, see some of the songs on your album"

"what are your favourites from Thriller?" i asked her smiling as janet passed me a bottle of water. i thanked her softly.

"billie jean.. PYT.. there's some good songs on there." she nodded making me blush "thank you."

"he wrote it for you," Marlon walked in.
"Marlon!! when did you get here?!" mother gasped at my brother after he just randomly appeared in the kitchen, in the house.
"just now, mother. i needed to see Nevi" he nodded at Neveah. as you can probably tell we all have different nicknames for her. i'm the only one who calls her 'Veah. except for Janet.
others call her 'V' 'Nevi' or 'Neve'

"what do you mean he wrote it for me?? write what for me??" Neveah asked out loud but had her ocean blue eyes trained on me. i laughed awkwardly as marlon said "PYT.. he wrote that about you" looking at Neveah.

"i didn't even write it, Quincy did!" i exclaimed "ignore him he's trying to cause trouble."
Marlon shrugged making a face "ok so Quincy wrote it. but you gave him the inspiration and the context based off of 'Nevi" Marlon nodded over to Neveah who looked so confused. i shook my head rolling my eyes. that's the LAST time i tell him ANYTHING.

"ignore him." i made a face at 'Veah making her laugh softly "yeah ignore him" mother agreed with me, but gave me a look making exasperatedly look around in confusion. i didn't do anything!
"what did you need me for marlon?" Veah chuckled "what do i buy a girl?"
"using your money to get to women, Mar??" i laughed "classy" i grinned making him scowl "younger brothers" he scoffed making me laugh even more. it was only then when Veah gave him some recommendations.