chapter eight: affair??

june 1984

"morning" i yawn walking into ralph's kitchen, i could smell the fresh coffee and donuts.
"morning sleepy head" he said softly and chuckle once he saw me dragging my feet along the floor rubbing my eyes "you ok?" he laughed

"yeah i just need coffee in me, i'll be all good then" i smiled at him. he handed me a coffee and i sipped it and moaned "you do really make a good coffee dont you?" i asked him, rhetorically.
we sit out in the garden looking at the hills.
"i've got a question... that i actually haven't asked before." he spoke up making me look at him "ask away." i told him.

"so as you know, i'm half italian and half greek decent and was born in New York... what about you?" he looked at me.
that's why he's so gorgeous?? his dark eyes, dark skin and dark hair?? holy MOLY.
i cleared my throat and looked away as i was staring at him for a bit too long.
"my daddy is black. my beautiful mother is african american of louisiana creole heritage, which includes african, native american, irish and italian heritage." i smirk at him

"you have italian heritage?!" his eyes are wide.... then he looked me up and down as i was sat in a chair "yeah i can tell now..." he said cheekily making me laugh
"i know i don't look black, i look more half black and half white don't i?" i asked him and he nodded "my momma, as you've seen, is very light skinned, so i've just got that from her."

"and you have amazing blue eyes" he pointed out making me blush and look down "thank you." i smiled softly.
"you're welcome..." he trailed off and drank his coffee
"did you ring michael last night or anything??" ralph asked me and i shook my head "it's best to let him cool down... man... I need to cool down. his brother slapped me in the damn face and i'll end up snapping on michael for that."

"do you recon michael knows?" ralph wondered and i shrugged "eh.. i don't really know. probably not, he would of rang. although, he probably doesn't care, we did break up yesterday."
"come on, don't throw away a good thing... Neya" he said softly. Neya. that's my nickname from him, he is the only one who uses that. other people call me Veah, Nev or Nevi. but he calls me Neya.
i pouted and sighed. "i'm at rehearsals later... i think he'll be there then. i'll catch him then." i told ralph.

"are you still coming to a few of my shows when the victory tour starts??" i asked him.
he nodded smiling his bright smile "yeah! of course i am." he nodded and got up "and i'll come to a load of your Get Me Bodied tour shows too, after the victory tour!" he smiled down at me "come on, let's go see if you album has made headlines yet on the news"

we walked in and turned on the tv, the first news channel was talking about me.
"not only did michael jackson's chart topping thriller album break racial barriers... it also seems as though the Get Me Bodied album by Neveah Kingston is also going to break many records, including breaking down racial barriers... it seems as though michael and neveah are almost the perfect match!" the woman spoke happily. "although her album debuted today, she is getting a bit of stick... here are the front pages of some magazines" she added and pictures popped up of front of tabloids

'Neveah using Michael Jackson for fame, success and money??'
'The album is all about sex... she lost her virginity when she was 11 years old'

i slapped my hand over my mouth as my eyes watered. why do they make up such ridiculous shit???

'Michael Jackson is a heavy topic in Neveah's debut album; people say she's using him for the fame'

'Michael Jackson and Neaveah's relationship is a scam!!'

'Case Closed: was Neveah sexually assaulted?'

'Track title 'Rendezvous' on Neveah's debut album is said to be about her secret adventures with her co-star Ralph Macchio... is she cheating on the THRILLER himself??'

"shit" ralph cursed and i sat down to keep calm.

i sighed shakily and looked at ralph who was shaking his head at the tv screen "other than that... record stores are reporting that her album is the fastest selling album they've had in stores since Thriller... big things are coming Neveah's way. we only wish her happiness, health and success!'"

"well at least that woman was nice..." ralph trailed off switching off the tv and turning to me "why does everyone think we're having an affair??" he asked me and i shrugged
"probably because of how much time we spend together" i shrugged "but were friends and we aren't gonna stop spending time with each other just because the media are speculating that i'm cheating on michael." i rolled my eyes standing up "i'm getting ready for rehearsals. are you coming?" i look at him and he shook his head "think it's best if i stay here, don't want to anger jermaine any more than i clearly already have."

"ok, i'll see you in a bit" i jogged upstairs and showered, brushed my teeth and hair and changed into grey joggers and a black crop top, sunglasses and white trainers.

"hey ralph??" i jogged down the stairs to find him in the kitchen cutting up some fruit.
"do you have like a baseball cap??" i asked him
"yeah, here." he said and walked towards the living room then through the living room to the stair case. there was a hat sat on a table next to the stair case. "take this. don't sweat it out..." he joked making me laugh and push him. "prick." i mumbled and grabbed my car keys.
i filled up a water bottle and headed off to the dance studio, saying goodbye to ralph and that i'd see him later.

before leaving, i checked my phone to see that i had a missed call.. a voice mail. i listened to it carefully

"Veah, it's me, Michael. i know you said you didn't wanna be with me..." he choked "but i need you... i'm not doing very well at the moment, i'm sure neither of us are. i need you. co-coke back home Veah." he sobbed down the phone for a few seconds making my eyes water "we can talk through this... we can sort this out. it's always been me and you against the world... don't let something so silly ruin that. please, Vee. i-" he breathed out softly "i love you. call me when you can."

i sobbed shutting off the voice mail and walking out of the house slamming the door behind me.