chapter eleven: coming clean

june 1984: neveah's pov

i was sat with my parents in the lounge room discussing what had happened with michael at the dance studio.
"he asked your father for your hand in marriage... you know?" mother said to me. my ears perked up. "when?" i asked softly.
"at the family day we had back in may at hayvenhurst." mother said making my eyes widen. "he did?" i turned to my dad who nodded.

"he must of followed me up to the toilet, he pulled me into his room when i walked past it and closed the door. the boy nearly gave me a damn heart attack!" dad laughed making me giggle.
"i asked michael what was up.. he looked nervous. he didn't really know what to do or say." my father chuckled making my heart pound.
"he was like 'sir... your daughter, nevi, she's my world. i really really love her. i want to spend the rest of my life protecting her.' so i was nodding at him.. i already kind of knew what he was going to ask. as a father. i knew. so i was like 'you want to marry my daughter?' and he nodded at me and smiled shyly and he was like 'nothing would make me happier' at first... i was unsure and i told him that. i told you you guys had only been together like a year and it sounds insane. and he was like 'she makes me insane.. i'm insane for her. i want to start a family with her.. i do. i've never been so sure about anything in my entire life'" my dad said forcing myself tears to resurface.

my mom rubbed my back, she knew i was getting upset.
"at that point.. i knew he was serious about you. it may have only been nearly a year or something. but i knew. i didn't need him to tell me either.. i could see it in how he looks at you. he looks at you like you're the only woman on this planet. you make him happy... he makes you happy. and that's all i've ever wanted for you baby girl." my father sniffled making my eyes water even more. i sobbed and let out a cry. i shook my head.

"michael pulled out the ring from his military jacket he had on. it's absolutely beautiful. i don't know if he showed you when he proposed. but it's so beautiful. he must have splashed out on it.. not like the money is important. but he wouldn't spend that much if he wasn't serious about you, i'm sure." my father nodded "i said it was a beautiful ring. i said that he's welcomed into my family anytime, he always has been, it's just now.. that ring makes it a lot more official." my dad nodded

"but what i don't understand is..." my mother spoke up and turned to look at me "if you love him.. you know he loves you.. why say no?" she frowned making me let out a shaky sigh.
i have to tell them. i can't hold it in no longer. i can't continue to hurt.
"i thought he'd be better off... without me..without my problems." i spoke softly getting comfortable.
"problems? what problems?" my dad asked softly.

i looked up at my parents, my eyes connecting with theirs, "i um— was r-raped" i let out a sob, they stayed silent. so i carried on "i was raped and assaulted." i confirmed for them. my mother broke down in tears "oh my baby girl." she came to my rescue and hugged me. i knew then and there, that everything would be okay again with her and my father by my side.. now that they know.

"who?" my dad asked with sadness, hurt and anger laced in his voice
"it was um- someone from the karate kid." i wiped my tears away.
"RALPH?!" my dad barked, and immediately my eyes widened and i shook my head waving my hands "no!" i raised my voice "god no! he'd never hurt me like that!"
my dad calmed down a little.
i started sobbing and my mother held me tighter "he saved me... ralph saved me."

"what do you mean baby girl?" my mother cried.

"h-he- ralph walked in on me getting raped... i had already been raped and assaulted numerous times before that on set. tw-two people took advantage of me." i cried harder "ralph walked in on this guy raping me, i had tears- d-down my face. i was begging for help.. begging him to stop, he wasn't going to. that's when ralph w-walked in" i cried harder. my dad came to my right side, my mom on my left, and they both cuddled me as my dad kissed my head "you don't have to carry on" my dad whispered. "i do.. i need to let it out." i cried grabbing the tissue he was handing me.

"ralph obviously went apeshit, he lunged for the guy..."
"who was it?" my dad asked "you know the guy who plays Dutch in karate kid? one of johnny Lawrence's friends? the one with horrible dyed blonde hair that's gone all yellow??" i asked them, even though the film hadn't been released my closest family and friends had seen it.
"what?" my mother questioned with tears rolling down her face and i nodded "yeah... his name is Chadwick Steven McQueen in real life. he was the one rap-raping me when ralph walked in." i sobbed into my hands

"you said two guys... who was the other who had been hurting you?" my mother sobbed as she questioned me "he's the cinematographer... called James."

"we need to alert the authorities." my dad immediately said "NO!" i said quickly shaking my head. i am petrified. "NO ONE CAN KNOW PLEASE DADDY." i cried shaking my head
"these men cannot get away with it!"

"daddy... it won't help. them going to prison if i win the case won't help me. me getting money if i win the case won't help me. i still have to live with it. i'm still suffering with it." i cried shaking my head. "yes i know-" my dad agreed with me "but this stops them from hurting any other woman.. they're predators. evil evil men who need stopping so they can't hurt anymore women, baby girl."

"what makes you think you won't win the case? you kept saying 'if'" my mother sadly questioned me.
"mom?" i let out an exasperated sigh shaking my head as i wiped my tears "for one, i'm a woman. who's going to believe me? a young women just finished filming a movie and claimed she's been sexually abused and raped by two men on the film. one an actor, who's father is Steven McQueen, and the other a cinematographer?? no one is going to believe me, ma" i shook my head "not to mention james, the cinematographer is powerful in the industry. i don't have a chance against him. neither of them." i shook my head

"i'm sure michael would help, i bet he knows good lawyers." dad spoke up "no. no." i shook my head

"so you're just going to keep this a secret?? what if they ask you to return to the karate kid? what if they make a second one and want you in it? what if they use the same cinematographer.. what if they use the same actors? what would you do?" my father asked me the same thing ralph asked me.

"if they do a second film to follow up the first... and wanted me to be in it yet have them two animals on set working on the film.... i'd say no." i replied. knowing exactly what i was going to do.