Another New Friend

Start from the beginning

"I understand. Thank you." He said, timidly joining the duo.

"Hi Aqualad." Robin waved a little. "Are you training with us?" He gave a tiny shrug.

"We're going to be working on advanced tactile movement. You can try to keep up. Robin? Stretch." Nightwing ordered.

"This is how to stretch." Robin started on his left side, demonstrating. Kaldur did his best to follow along.

———————————————————————————————-

He couldn't keep up, Robin and Nightwing were so fast!

Kaldur shuffled to the side, sitting down to rest in the corner hallway. He hugged his legs. Gravity on land made him so heavy, his legs were heavy and his arms were heavy, and he could barely hold his balance. 

He was slow, physically underdeveloped from a lifetime underwater. He could barely stand, let alone jump or run; if he tried, he'd start breathing too hard and his throat would dry and crack, and he'd inhale his blood.

Everyone here was so fast and strong, and he couldn't even run, he could barely lift his own weight, and his balance and agility was lacking. Not to mention that his only skill, his sorcery, was useless without any water nearby.

"You okay?" Robin asked, squatting next to him. "Are we going too hard?" Kaldur shook his head. "Cramps? Drink some water and take a break, that's what I do!"

"Robin!" Nightwing called. 

"Oop- BRB." Robin pat the teens shoulder and skipped back on the floor.

Kaldur's eyes stung, and he felt his nose tingle painfully. He must be dehydrated again. Shakily, he opened a bottle and took a swig. He'd only just drained it when he was met with a strange feeling. The refreshing sensation of water in isolated areas of his face. Did he spill his water? 

Kaldur raised his wrist to find to source of the dampness, when he noticed his lips trembling. He was crying. You don't notice tears underwater.

His face grew wetter and wetter. Scared of crying himself dry, Kaldur shook open another bottle and drained it in seconds.

There were so many things you noticed on land, you never heard anyone make noises like this under water! It was muffled. He worked hard to stifle his sharp sniffs and chokes. He didn't notice the sparring stall.

"Did I hurt you?"

Kaldur looked up, seeing Nightwing clearly through the tears. "I'm sorry." He didn't know what to do about the tears, no one noticed them under water.

"Do you need help?" He asked gruffly, aloof manner hiding his concern.

Kaldur shook his head a little. "I am well. Thank you." He snuffled violently, clapping his hands over his mouth and nose to shut himself up. He then remembered that he needed them to breath up here, and tried to take a breath, hiccupping viciously. Thats new.

"I'm going to coach Robin. Stay put until I'm back." Nightwing's voice softened a semi-octave.

"Yessir." He sniffled.

Nightwing sent a miniature glance, and returned to the floor, addressing Robin again.

Robin was about three years younger than him, but he was so capable. He could move and speak and understand. He was comfortable everywhere. He practically swim in the air, that's what it looked like to Kaldur, anyways. 

Even Kid Flash could run. Even Speedy was agile and Swift. All of them were reasonably strong, reasonably smart... Kaldur could barely walk unassisted.