Swing

"There's no way for either of us to win," I said in defeat. "With how things are, there was no way any of this was going to work out." I looked at him but he continued to look out the window. I wasn't sure if my words were even reaching him at this point. 

"You know Daniel was asking about you earlier," Negan said not really moving anything but his mouth. 

"What did he want?" I ask confused. Negan finally looked at me and nodded his head before looking away again.

"He wanted to tell you something about how he was gonna stop drinking."  Part of me was proud of him but something dark in me said he was better of a drunk forgetting the world.

"Well that's good for him I guess. What did you say?" 

"The bastard didn't talk to me he was asking around and some of my guys picked up what he wanted." I nodded. That was probably for the best Daniel is probably too chicken to actually try to talk to Negan directly, and after our last encounter all together I could't blame him.  "I got to get the hell out of here." He said getting up in a huff. I watched as he grabbed his leather jacket and put it on. He zipped it up and looked at me. "Are you coming or not?" My heart jumped thinking about being able to go somewhere. 

"Where we going?" I say getting up and following him out the door. He didn't answer me as we walked down the hall. 

"Get me a car." He called into his walkie. Confusion rushed over me, I thought he meant away from his room not away from the Sanctuary. 

"Where are we going?" I repeated the question again but I was ignored yet again. He pushed open the door to the outside and light-flooded over me and the warmth of the sun filled me with happiness after not seeing it for so long. As we walked out a dirty light blue sedan was brought up. A few men stood around ready for orders with Simon standing in the middle of them. 

"I'm going out for a few, no one is to follow us. Simon, you'll be in charge. If I'm not back by the end of the day," Negan looks at me while he opens the car door. "Kill him." He got in the car and I ran around to the other side and slid into the passenger side. We didn't say anything when we pulled out of the Sanctuary. I tried to look around for Daryl on the wall working but I didn't see anyone working. I slumped back in the seat and looked at Negan. His eyes were purely on the road and didn't waver from that spot. I turned to look out the window to try to figure where we were heading but it was impossible because I didn't even know where we were. 

We continued in silence as he made his turns on the road. He seemed to have a pretty strong idea of where he was going. We drove in that silence for about thirty minutes past open fields and abandoned houses with walkers aimlessly drifting till finally, he turned down a dirt road. We drove down slowly trying to hit the holes in the drive softly to not hurt the car too much. The woods on either side seemed to go on for miles. We came to a small clearing with a small two-story house just up the road. Negan pulled in leaving a trail of dust in his path till he stopped under a big tree to the side of the house. 

"Stay here." Negan got out and opened the trunk while I waited in the car as he asked. With a slam, he closed the trunk and had a gun in one hand and his bat tucked into his belt. I watched as he walked to the side door of the house and disappeared within its walls. I really got to take a look at the house that we were stopped at. It was obviously run down and look like it had been even before the walkers. The paint on the wood panels was chipped and there was hardly even left to the outside but I could tell at one point this house was a light blue with white trim. I could imagine how this place must have looked when it was lived in with a family and a dog. I looked at the tree and notice a swing just on the other side of where we parked. I wasn't gonna wait around in here forever and it was getting kind of stuffy and hot. I got out and walked over and took a better look at the old swing. It was a simple piece of wood with a rope tied to the sides. I looked up to the branch to see if it was healthy enough to hold me which it looked pretty thick and the rope seemed pretty sturdy as well. I push down on it just to test it a little bit more and it didn't seem to give at all. 

I softly sat down facing the yard and slowly let my weight really get situated on the wood. I just slightly pushed myself back and forth enjoying the fresh air and breeze. It was peaceful here no sign of any walkers or anyone else but birds and squirrels. I felt a slight push on my back, I jumped and turned around and saw it was Negan pushing me.

"I thought I told you to stay in the car." He said as I turned back to face the yard.

"I couldn't pass up the swing," I said in response. He didn't say anything in response just continued to push me lightly on the swing. 

"You never do listen to me."