|Dinner Table Talk|

•Miguel Garcia•

I walked in the field of roses that my mom planted. Making my way all the way to the back where my older fourteen year old brother is hidden crying. "H-he's going to find me." He sobs.

I look over my shoulder a force of habit. Fear creeping up my eleven year old back that he's behind me. "Maybe if you keep hiding he won't."

"Ronica snuck out to see her boyfriend again, I-I was supposed to watch to make sure she didn't but I....I was playing the game and got distracted." He tries his best to explain but he's crying really hard.

I look out in the distance before glancing back at my older brother. "Go to the store. I'll tell dad I was supposed to stand watch."

Rico instantly shakes his head. "No I'm your big brother I can't let you."

Just looking at him I could tell he can't handle another beating. He's holding onto his rib as if it's broken, his arms are covered in purple bruises, he has a black eye. He's been out of school for weeks and none of these are even close to healing fully yet.

I decide to man up at that young age. "Go." I repeat.

"Ricardo!" Both our heads snap in the direction of the distance far away from us. We can see our fathers tall frame marching towards us. Though we're so small he can't see us.

I shove him whispering. "Run!" He does exactly that his eyes widening in fear as he talks off in a different direction in the field.

Suddenly I'm being yanked by the arm. That one grip alone leaving it aching. I wince closing my eyes tightly as he speaks aggressively into my face. "Where is Ricardo?" He questions.

I shake my head. "H-he told me to watch after Ronica while he went to the store. I looked away and she....s-she-" though I'm afraid of what he's going to do to me and how badly it's going to hurt I'm more afraid of what another beating to Rico would do to him. The last thing I want is for my brother to be even more hurt or worse.

He punches me across the face. One of those strong manly punches that causes my ears to ring and me to almost go unconscious. He delivers multiple punches and kicks to my stomach. At first I scream, call for my moms help but as usual she doesn't help us. I scream until suddenly I'm emotionless taking each hit numbly. My body jerking being the only sign of the pain I'm in. And I stare up out of the roses and thorns I'm laying in and up at the sun. The only calmness being that I thought this would be the last time.

Little did I know that was just the beginning of me taking abuse for my brother and sister.

Serg tries to pass me a blunt but I shake my head watching as Ronica comes stumbling down the stairs damn near breaking her neck on the way down. "Fuck!" She yells dramatically.

I just look at her nonchalantly while Sergio stands up from the couch walking over to help her up. "Thank you Serg." Her voice is raspy and she looks like shit. Mostly because she's hung over.

She lets go of his hand walking towards the kitchen, meanwhile Sergio's eyes follow in her direction. Not in a lustful way but in something much more. Me being me I mind my business continue to play COD and stare at my huge flat screen. "She stayed over last night?" He asks me still looking in her direction as he walks back over towards the couch.

I nod. "Yep. She was shit faced drunk last night so I had to search every club to find her." I tell him honestly.

Sergio shakes his head sympathy on his face. "She's really lucky she got a brother like you. You look out for her. And in the end God gone look out for you because of it." He says seriously while patting me on the back.