|Regret Is A New Thing|

Tahani Lowars•
"Hani"

I look around at the people sitting on Joey's couch, I hold the paper between my fingers and the gun is on the table. "So lemme get this straight, he been knew this was going to happen?" I question.

Joe sighs. "Sis that man didn't know for sure but he had to look out for you just in case."

I raise an eyebrow. "And why wouldn't you tell me this sooner?"

"Because truth is I ain't agree to the shit. Nobody was gone tell you but he been said way back if some shit went down for us to let you take over. That's the last thing I want though. This shit too dangerous." Joey rants.

"That's what we here for." Tia says sitting up.

Her twin brother Tio nods in agreement. "Taj became like family. So we got you."

"Like family?" I scoff. "If y'all so family with him how come I ain't met you?" I question.

Tia sighs. "Look we ain't got shit to prove. Joey know wassup. We worked with him for the past few years, us three is the only people besides your family he trusts you to be around."

I stare down at the number in Taj's hand writing. "Ight. Look like we partners." I tell Joey.

• • • •

So this is Tahani Lowars. She is my wife and I's niece and she'll be running the company from the ground up beside Joey." Issac introduces me to a room filled with men.

One of the board members a middle aged white man leans forward in his seat a look of frustration on his face. "With all do respect Mr. Jacobson I speak on behalf of everyone on this board when I say we are tired of this. This is a multinational company. We cannot keep bringing in hoodlums off the streets that are not here to stay. It already took us a lot to deal with the last kid and now street situations leads us to another one." His words cause a mug to form on my face.

I expect my uncle to go off, shit honestly I expected him to kill that man. But this would be the moment I'd learn that in a business like this you'd have to say the street shit for the streets and business for business.

A smile forms on Issac's face. "I respect your opinion Bill. And you can take that shit right out the door with you," his words cause the mans mouth to drop. "Anyone else care to join him?"

The board Bill just spoke on behalf of all seemed to have lost their train of thought.

"I-I didn't mean to disrespect her or your family I was just saying. Please don't fire me, this company is my life. It's what helps me take care of my family."

I raise an eyebrow at him. My blood boiling as I think of how he referred to Taj as a hoodlum and how he spoke on his death. "You think I'm just a hoodlum from the streets?" I question. "Please be honest with me. Don't get scared and change your mind now." I advise.

"It doesn't matter what he thinks. Know why? Because anybody who thinks that about you or any of my workers can find the door." Issac puts his foot down and Joey nods in agreement. All I know is Bill is lucky my auntie is not here because if she was he'd be leaving here way worse.

I nod in agreement too. "You're right. See you around Bill." I say pretend kindly while shooting him a flirty wave. He huffs standing up he gathers his paperwork before walking away.

Little did he know because of those comments he made I would also stay true to the ones I made. I will be seeing him soon. Real soon.

Miguel Garcia•