|Look Out|

Tahani Lowars•
"Hani"

"So you live here?" I ask Ozias while sitting on the coach.

He shakes his head. "Nah I'm just here to visit." He gives me the short answer.

I look around the room to see that hanging on the wall is pictures. Most of them having a beautiful girl a few shades darker than me in them. She looks to be in her twenties. "Who is-"

"That's my sister." He says as if answering this questions before. He's currently playing COD on their huge flat screen tv.

"Where is she?" I try and remember if I've ever met her and I don't think I haven't.

He's quiet for a minute before replying. "She died."

I feel sad hearing that I can't imagine what it's like to lose a sibling. Literally can't because I've never had one. "What happened to her? If you don't mind me asking." I ask hesitantly.

"She was shot." I hear the sadness in his tone and suddenly tension fills the air.

"Oh." I can't stop the sound my voice makes when I see it and I can tell he picked up on it.

He turns around a mug on his face. "Look we ain't just sum thugs. Alright? L.J was nothing like that if anything she was better than you and your people. She was studying to be a doctor and everything and those bullets wasn't meant for her." He snaps at me.

"I-I didn't mean to-"

"No you did," Ozias checks me. "Stay turning your nose up like your better than us and you think nobody peeps. You act all uppity just like my Uncle Jayor. Only difference is he knows that y'all side of the family is secretly fucked up. Don't walk in here thinking you better than anybody because you not Tahani. My sisters death hit all of us hard you lucky my mom even wants you around after losing her own daughter. But she does because she cares about ya boujee ass. Why? I have no idea." With that he stands up tossing the controller on the couch and walks up.

I can't help but feel bad. I don't know them at all and I let what my grandmother and grandfather tell me affect how I feel towards them. And now in this moment I see how much I don't know. I have that mindset just like the rest of the girls at my private school. It's as if it brainwashed me. That every one who has been shot is thugs. That they're thugs because they live over there. I'm in a million dollar house, have my own room and a huge bathroom inside and they own a over billion dollar company that's all legal and I still assume that's what they are.

Am I the problem?

Torin Truman•
"Taj"

I walk in the house going over to my mom seeing her looking at multiple bills. I go in my pants pulling out over two stacks and I pass it to her. Her eyes widen and a smile forms on her face. "I don't know what I would do without you Tru." She calls me by the nickname my family refers to me by. She pulls me into a hug almost breaking down crying.

I hug her back then pull away. "It's nothing mom." What Issac said really got to me. Deep down I always resented my mom for my dad leaving. My mom was the easy type when I was younger. Saw a female in his phone and was the type to go fuck on niggas because of it. One day when I was six he just up and left leaving us alone. I've had a certain anger in me ever since because that left me to be the man of the house. And it hurts me watching my mom or sister need or want for something and I can't get it. So I make sure to look out. Bills? I cover it. Christmas? I cover it. Birthdays? I cover it. Me and my sister school clothes? I cover it. It's not what I want to do but I know it's what I got it do. My mom don't be bringing in enough money and it's just us. Family takes care of family.