|New Lives|

Tahani Lowars•
"Hani"

"Okay here you go have a nice day." I pass her the bags filled with different books watching as she walks out.

"Chan said that you can go on your break if you want." My co-worker Justice tells me.

I look up at her a smile forming on my face. "Thank fuckin' God." I say to myself walking away I follow her towards the door.

It's been months since I talked to Taj. Things ended bad and I haven't heard from him since. I decided to get a job since I didn't always want to be living off of my auntie. So I got a couple, working at a local library that's on a university campus and taking night classes on the weekdays. I also have a couple of jobs on the weekend. I work at a car dealership and a coffee shop. I'm trying to make something of myself by myself. Things are slowly getting better and I've even been seeing a therapist trying to get myself to where I should be.

Through all the changes there's one thing that hasn't faded. And that's how much I miss him.

We make it into the coffee shop and I head towards the back where Roman is seated. It seemed like Taj was the missing piece to the puzzle. I remembered him and then I remembered everything else. Including her. The entire time she'd been trying to get ahold of me but my aunt told her about how I wasn't completely myself. She kept her distance being told that that's what's best for me.

I take a seat in the booth beside Justice and we're sitting across from Roman and her boyfriend Joey. He's like this young Asian guy who is actually fine with short cut hair, tattoos and what not. From what I know about him they met at work or something and have clung to eachother ever since. "Hey guys." I say giving them a smile.

"Don't hey me bitch," Roman pretends to be mad with amusement in her tone. "We was supposed to hang today but you wanna take a shift and shit."

I playfully roll my eyes letting my hair fall over my face. "Not trynna be funny best friend but ain't nobody trynna third wheel you and Joe." I laugh but I'm serious.

They'll invite me places and I'd be thinking it's going to be fun and most of the time it does be. Up until they start tonguing each other down and flirting extra heavily then I be ready to go home. It's like seeing them is a constant reminder of something my life is missing. Love. I mean they're toxic yes and stay fighting but they do love eachother.

"I keep trynna tell you I can put you on with my Brody. He a lil tender though the dude just got his heart ripped out of his chest." Joe admits with a shrug.

"Awwe." Justice says being sympathetic towards his friends situation.

I just shake my head thinking of how I'm trying to get my own situation together. "Nah I can't be trying to fix someone else and my life ain't where it need to be." I give him the short answer.

He nods. "He a good dude though."

I just pretend I don't hear that and my mind immediately goes to Torin. There's so many things that we could've did that we never did. I found myself picturing a future with him. Him living with me permanently, even having sex with him, I saw a future filled with love. But our past was nothing too pretty and I felt like as someone who love and cares about him I had to let him go and let him flourish. I couldn't watch him give up his whole life for me. Knowing it wasn't the best thing for him.

Suddenly someone is walking up towards the table dressed in full blown designer, hair cut low, and chains all around his neck. "Can I speak to you miss lady?" He calls himself spittin' game.

I look over at him before replying. "No thank you." Politely.

The man scoffs flexing his chains by running his hands down them cockily. He's wearing like eight different chains right now. "Do you know who I am?" He questions.