|Distance Is Better For the Heart|

Tahani Lowars•
"Hani"

I sat down on the random bed with my face in my hands. "I don't feel too good." I whispered.

"You look good to me beautiful." I felt his hand creeping up my back.

When I looked up at him everything is blurry. And my words come out slurred. "Whatttt?" He leans over and I feel his lips on mine. "S-stoppp." I try to push him away but it's as if my strength is weakened. My whole body feels like weights that are too heavy to lift.

I tried to fight him off but he wouldn't budged. "Just go with it." I felt his hands in my pants and snatching my clothes off. His body is pressed against mine and he pulled his pants down too. "You so fuckin' soaked." He cursed.

In an instant it was as if that one memory opened up an entire box to so many more. All it took was her sending me a picture. A picture of Keoni laying in the dirt, it was a news article that got leaked showing his body in a body bag. His face on display with a bullet in between. Some things were still a blur but others were crystal clear. I remember that night I was raped. The pain in my chest returning so vividly. I remember arguing with SJ. I remember Seven, and how he used to beat me.

Some memories of Taj are even returning. The thing is if I already knew him months ago why would he say we didn't know eachother? Am I confused?

Part of me is so confused in this moment. It's like I remember so much have so many people around me lying to me. No one telling me the actual truth. Before I know it I'm speaking my mind. "Seven and Keoni." I say aloud. I watch as Taj's grey eyes widen like a deer caught in headlights.

"What?" He asks shock written on his face.

I clear my throat adjusting my body so I'm facing him trying to gather my words. "Their names popped up in my head. Did I know them?" I ask purposely.

Taj quickly shakes his head. "Nah..."

"So I didn't know you?" 

This time he hesitates. "We've already been over this Hani. No." He looked me right in my face and lied to me.

And in this moment I can't help but think that maybe it's all for the best. A lot of my memories returned but some things are still a mystery. Like the accident and what actually happened. Or who this mysterious person is texting me. I remember the first time I ever saw Taj, I remember getting my hair washed and seeing him in the kitchen. Besides that I don't remember anything else. I could've simply came across him once. Right? The best thing to do seems to sit back and heal & recover. The truth will reveals itself.

Ain't that what the Bible says? "The darkness will always come to the light" ?

THREE NONTHS LATER

"What? Are you fuckin' serious bro?!" The sound of him raging is loud throughout his moms house. I jump slightly listening as he goes off on his family.

"I-I'm sorry Taj." Monroe sobs placing her hands over her face. She breaks down crying and all I do is sit on the couch staring at the pregnancy test that's on the table.

"Stop it! Okay? She already knows what's ahead of her and she feels horrible." Their mom defends her.

Taj scoffs. "She don't know shit. That's why you telling me this and she ain't."

"It was a slip up." Monroe blurts making the situation even worse. I watch as he laughs before picking up one of his moms vases and throwing it at the wall. It shatters everywhere and we all stare at him with wide eyes.