The sundered, ashened Earth 2/7 (SFW) Apocalypse-AU

Chapter 2

The dawn soon came, Eddy only knew because the light was starting to shine through the blinds. The light was always welcome in his book, it meant they had survived yet another day. Gently he squeezed Brett's hand which he hadn't let go of. It wasn't time to wake him yet since the sun wasn't completely up but more or less to show a subtle joy of living on.

Brett slept through the rest of the night, but he was far from being decently charged. But when Eddy squeezed his hand he opened his eyes immediately. He saw the soft light coming through the blinds as well and he smiled. They survived.

Then he closed his eyes, knowing they still had at least two hours before it was safe to go out.

Eddy glanced at Brett hearing that his breathing had changed, but the elder still had his eyes closed so he wouldn't think much of it. Too bad he was looking the other way, he could have seen the smile he liked so much. But he didn't so now he would watch Brett's peaceful looking face.

Brett slept through the whole time. After a couple of hours he blinked himself awake.

He sat up and stretched. A few bones cracked but he definitely felt better now. Brett looked down and saw Eddy. He graced him with a soft smile and ruffled the greasy strands of hair. His own wasn't any better.

He looked at the door and mouthed, "Calm outside?"

If yes, then they could scavenge and then leave. Because he had no desire to sleep another night here, not before they killed each and every one of the brain dead morons. After that, he could see himself sleeping again in a bed, but one night like yesterday was more than enough for him.

Eddy nodded, he hadn't heard a sound of movement since the sun had risen. They were probably safe to venture out but they would have to be cautious and check first obviously. The younger smiled softly at Brett and slowly stood up as well. It wasn't easy to sit in the same position for hours upon hours, so it was nice to get up.

At least Eddy had a calm night, that was all Brett wished for. They got up and took their swords and backpacks. Brett undid the cable and opened the door just a tiny smidgen. As expected the hallway was bloody and a corpse was lying in the far back. One leg was missing and the other bent to an unnatural angle. The head was bloody as well and the face ashen.

The older man looked away from the corpse to check if something else was alive. It didn't seem so. Only then he opened the door and stepped outside. The blood trail continued to the stairs and lo and behold, the leg was laying on the bottom of the stairs. They made their way slowly down but didn't encounter anything. It seemed that the others followed the horde call. He looked back at Eddy and mouthed "Kitchen". They would start their hunt there.

Eddy nodded to that as he walked up to Brett, he rather walk by his side when they were looking through the abandoned farmhouse. They may not see or hear anything but it didn't mean they were alone. There could always be something that they missed.

They went to the kitchen and saw nothing. Well, nothing that lived actually. Brett went to the walk in pantry door and opened it, ready to strike. But that was also empty.

A big smile was now on his face. The farm was not yet scavenged! Rows upon rows of canned food was there. Even bottled water! Not that it would be any good anymore, but they could use the bottles!

That was a very good find indeed.

While the pantry was not big, it was enough for them and then some more. Almost a jackpot Brett would say.