Chapter 6 - Who to Pick?

Nova

Things have been hectic ever since the Ball was announced. I didn't even think that anybody would ask me, except that I really wished Charlie would. It wasn't even a few hours after McGonagall told us about the dance and Orion already asked me. I said no, of course, but I was still flattered. A Hufflepuff boy from seventh year, that I have never seen before, asked me too and right in front of Charlie as well!

The one that surprised me the most was Barnaby, who asked me one day after our Care of Magical Creatures lesson. I turned him down but also hinted that perhaps Tonks would be a better option. I thought that he wouldn't act upon it, even though he did give it quite some thought, but just a day later he stopped by when we were sitting in the Courtyard and asked her to the Ball.

We all stared at her, anticipating the answer. I was sure she was going to say no as she was losing it with Penny talking about it all the time. To all of our surprise, she said yes and then shouted at us to stop giggling. I was now the only one who didn't have a date even though I was asked the most times.

Andre asked Penny one day as they were having a picnic date by the Lake and there was no surprise there that she said yes. Penny also told us that Andre is going to prepare a whole collection of dresses for us to pick from for the Ball.

It was now a month from the dance announcement and I was losing hope that Charlie was going to ask me. Penny guaranteed me that he will, even though I didn't know where she got the idea from. Tulip suggested I ask him instead and Tonks said she's going to ask around if he was taking anyone else. We just finished with Herbology and were about to go to the Great Hall, when a voice stopped us.

"Nova?" I am not going to lie, I might be staring at Charlie a lot these days but my cheeks still burned when Murphy said my name. I gestured to the girls to go on without me even though I knew they were curious what would I answer if he asked me to the Ball – the question that I didn't even know the answer to.

"Hi, Murphy." I waved awkwardly.

"The Gryffindor vs Slytherin match is this Friday and I was wondering if there is any chance that you would keep me company in the commentator stand?" He scratched his cheek, which was bright pink. He was so cute. If he would ask me to the dance at that moment, I would say yes to him.

"I would say there is a 99,4% chance that I would." I beamed and he chuckled, his cheeks turning a deeper red.

"So? Did he ask you to the Ball?" Penny asked as soon as I walked through the door of the greenhouse.

"Did you say yes?" Added Tonks. Were they trying to eavesdrop?

"He invited me to the commentator stand to watch the game on Friday," I answered casually, even though I felt my cheeks burn. I was so confused. I thought I was over Murphy.

"Uf, watching Charlie play against Slytherins with Murphy," Tulip didn't like the idea very much, "do you think that's smart after what happened last year?"

"For your information, I accepted the invitation and I can't wait around for Charlie to gather up his courage and ask me to the Ball. I don't even know if he wants to go and to be honest, I don't care at this point. Perhaps, I'd like to go with Murphy!" I frowned.

I knew I was only making things more confusing for myself and I could bet that Charlie won't be pleased to see me hanging out with Murphy since I promised him I won't even though he told me he's okay with it but I still liked him – staring at Charlie or not – and if Murphy's going to ask me to the Ball, I'll say yes.

"You still can't figure out who you fancy more, can you?" Tonks asked, perplexed.

"No, okay! I like Charlie but Murphy is so sweet and actually might fancy me back! I don't know how Charlie feels about me and since he hasn't done anything to indicate that he likes me, it doesn't look very good, does it!" They pulled me into a group hug and even though I felt like crying, I decided to hold in my tears. I didn't want to cry because of Charlie again.