Chapter 29 - Transmutation

♠️♦️♣️♥️

- LUDWIG'S POV -

This war was taking so long that I ran out of power and energy to fight once more. I can't count anymore the battles we had consecutively 5 days in a row. With only a little sleep and the injuries that we sustained, we could have waved our white flag towards the enemies.

"But we can't give up. Not just yet. Not now!" The battle cry of me gives me the one and only choice for the rulers of the kingdom. We won't give up regardless of the casualties we're in. We won't give up despite how difficult the path we take. We won't give up! To do anything for a bright future for the next generation.

Judging by Kiku's face, he also didn't want to surrender at such a critical moment. We have been five days outside the Cardverse facing cannibals, wild animals and mother nature. Do you think we will let all of our efforts go in vain?!

But still, there's one strange thing that I noticed about the enemy. Every time they were supposedly killed, they awakened again, regardless off the types of injuries that they sustained. So they are immortal I guess.

"Transmuted beings are immortal." I saw a skull fly into the air when it was swung by Arthur's sharp halberd. My mind suddenly reminisced about the last meeting we had.

———————————————————————

(Final meeting flashback)

LUDWIG : So exactly, Queen Arthur. How we are going to defeat these kinds of creatures or whatever it is.

(Everyone put their attention towards Arthur who was silenced for quite awhile. That even added to the suspicion as if Arthur had hid something from them.)

ARTHUR : The thing is...Transmuted beings are immortal.

(Everyone's face went into horror)

GILBERT : You mean, no matter how many times we do it, even decapitating their heads, you said that they would not die?!

ARTHUR : Yes. That's the main problem for now. The enemies will live but for ours is a big threat, the fact that all of us only have one life.

ALFRED : So it seems like they are ghosts or something?!

LUKAS : Not at all, there are still humans just like us. As like necromancy, they are brought alive once more. For a human,it is like having a second life. But also, it will disturbed the Laws of the Universe.

VLADIMIR : Correct. Each human had only one life. Once it is gone, we are dead. So it is not fair for people who only live and die once if there are people who are given a second life to live. Also, most of the people will use this knowledge for their own selfish deeds. That's why both of these branches are banned among the wizards. And public as well.

LUDWIG : (clutches his own head) So you mean that we are facing someone who uses forbidden knowledge.

ARTHUR : Yes. But only a few wizards who know both of these knowledge but instead of giving it to others, they pass it down to the younger generation. Now let's forget about that part. The thing about transmutation is really flawless. Granted immortality for sure, especially with the use of Philosopher's Stone. Usually, people will get confused with The Elixir of Life, but as you see, none of the alchemists were able to create it and it claimed many lives for people that tried to attempt it.