Chapter 8 - Escape Attempt

♠️♦️♣️♥️

- 3RD POV -

Everyone's faces frowned and went into a paralysed state upon hearing Arthur's response. Elizaveta, who had estimated the elevation of the cell, just shook her head in dismay, thinking of the ordeal they needed to face outside the Cardverse. Lilli didn't worry at all about herself, instead worrying that his brother would be in a mess knowing that she went missing. While both Arthur and Kiku discuss their current situation they are all in it. Even both of them were quite surprised knowing that now they are outside of their own world.

"So?"

Arthur sighs. "We don't know exactly where we are. But I am quite sure this place was not used about a hundred years ago judging by the cracks on the wall."

"But honestly, Arthur-san. What kind of place is this that was built outside the Cardverse? I thought none of the people had escaped before. At least not as far from here." Kiku was in a slight of frown.

Arthur explained that the only records that showed people who have been outside the Cardverse was from the soldiers from each of the Kingdoms.

"The last record was in a war about 180 years ago when the Spades used the wizards in the war against the Clubs, Hearts and the Diamonds. It was described as the bloodiest fight in the history with almost the whole infirmary of soldiers were slain and the Kings barely survived except the Hearts who died due to old age. He was the only few of the bodies that are able to return inside our world while the rest of them were buried in a mass grave outside. That's why some people consider that the outside of the Cardverse is haunted."

"And why is that?" Kiku lifted his eyebrows in amusement.

"Because according to my late mother, it said that the spirits of the dead soldiers will roam at the battlefield to find living humans just to get their bodies and reenter the Cardverse. Then again, they don't know it was no use since the dead would not be alive again unless someone performed a ritual.

Lilli never thought the Cardverse was too complex as it seems. Almost everything in it had a connection with the dead and magic. Yes, she thought. The dead can't be alive again but what kind of person who is sane enough to bring back the dead.

"Big brother Arthur, what kind of ritual did you mean?"

Arthur racks his brain and has only one thought. He couldn't believe this thought but it was the only thing he had in a head when talking about a ritual that can bring dead people alive.

Necromancy and Alchemy.

Two of the most powerful and forbidden branches in wizardry. Necromancy is a practice of magic that can communicate the dead  in every form including bringing them back alive. It was popularised by Faust who is well-known for making a bargain to Mephisto, a devil from Hell. While alchemy is a branch in science where one understands the structure of matter breaks it down then rebuilds it.

"But why has it becomes forbidden? If I'm not mistaken, Uncle Yao had told me that a long time ago, both of these branches are useful to people."

Both Kiku and Kuro were always listening to Yao's stories and tales about legends and facts including branches of science when they were little. The story that Kiku remembers is that wizards from the Spades had contributed an amount of discovery in magic and alchemy. He even always heard from Arthur about what the wizard community in Spades looks like but these two topics will always be avoided even if Kiku wants some explanation for it.