Chapter 24 - Side Dish

♠️♦️♣️♥️

- LUKAS'S POV -

"Vladimir! Vladimir! Are you in?! Over."

"Yes, this is Vladimir. I have already checked the Hearts previously. Luckily, there are no core cuts so now I'm at the Spades to help out Carl.He said 20% of the borders had been fixed."

"Okay, we have more than half of what we had finished." I turned off my earpiece. Fixing a likely invisible core cut was really painful. I look at both Arthur and Lovino who are already breaking a sweat after an hour we work at the borders. But what can we do? This is the security matter of our world. With the borders being punctured, our world is at risk of being attacked by the outsiders, especially cannibals.

I remember again what Arthur told me about the Queens' captors' modus operandi. I was relieved that at least one of their assumptions were wrong. Getting Queens outside the Cardverse won't weaken the defence system, especially the power of Time that supplied the borders but instead, their life force would likely to get drained rapidly. But as I know, from Arthur itself, the Time is the one who chooses the Queen to secure the stability of the world. So no doubt that the four Queens are really strong in terms of intelligence and skills.

Now, the world is in danger with borders being core cut. Obviously, whoever did this is an excellent wizard because core cut the borders that its power supplied by the Time was no easy feat. A simple breaking spell won't be able to scratch it even the slightest. Even so, if the border is an egg, most of the threats that our world faces can only give a little crack on an egg's shell.

What we need to do now is to fix the borders and at the same time get updates about the second-line team. So far 25 minutes had passed. This is quite an achievement and the good news at the same time. It means they only have 5 minutes left to hold the soldiers.

Yet again, no plan is perfect and smooth as we expect.

Suddenly, my earpiece vibrates again and I turned it on.

"Hello, Bondevik! This is Beilschmidt! The soldiers break the second defence and now they are heading towards Jones and Williams!" I heard Gilbert's hoarse voice through my earpiece.

"A...Are you guys alright?!" I'm worried about them, especially the rulers. Again, King and Queen are both sides of coins that are compatible with each other. One side couldn't survive without the other.

"Oui. We are all fine." Francis replied. "Everything goes as we planned. The scale of attack wasn't expected so much but at least Artie acted very quickly."

Suddenly, I got a voice from the Queen, my ruler itself. "Lukas, get Queen Arthur healed as soon as possible. In case the soldiers pass Alfred's and Matthew's line, he will sustain enough power to put a barrier."

"Alright, Your Majesty!"

———————————————————————

- ALFRED'S POV -

"Alfred, get ready! They are coming in your way!"

Francis's warning rang in my ears. I immediately pull out my gun and give a signal to Matthew. Well, don't underestimate this gun. The power that I inherited from my late father will give me the will to do whatever I want. Well that is the definition of the 'Power' itself which is the magic of the Spades.

Well, obviously you can guess what I want to do with my gun, right...?

"Matthew, let's roll it!"

Using his bow, Mattie released an arrow that can release thousands of arrows,with a tip from Arthur's magic. I can see the arrows stormed towards the soldiers like heavy raindrops as most of them succumbed to the ground one by one.