Chapter 28 - Fate or Choice

♠️♦️♣️♥️

- 3RD POV -

"For the sake of the kingdom! Wow! Don't you guys remember what you did to our community hundreds of years ago! Your forefathers hunt us just because of their lust for wealth!"

Francis denied. "Technically, mon ami. We don't depend on gold nowadays. Our world has been in peace since the war 180 years ago and our economy has been stable for quite long. We don't need it. Even every kingdom has their own source of economy."

"Did you know that in the past, they hunted every wizard just to get the gold transmutation formula?! Especially the Bondeviks, Popescus, Kirklands, and my family, the Flamels. Four families who are quite famous for their divine knowledge in alchemy!"

The Queens are shocked. They don't recall anything that Arthur had told them about being his family, bore one of the knowledgeable wizards in alchemy. Or, in Kiku's opinion, one of the reasons why Arthur always tried to avoid chatting about wizardry and family, especially involving alchemy.

"So...You're the one who do all this human transmutation?!" Arthur glared at Stefan with his insides bottled up with anger. How can't he be furious when Human Transmutation was forbidden according to the Laws of Alchemy, one of the reasons why alchemy was banned in nowadays syllabus so none of the people won't misuse the knowledge. Also it means that one had broken the Laws of Universe where someone can't bring back the dead, a reason why Necromancy along with Alchemy are forbidden among the wizards. Only a few families will pass on the knowledge to their younglings so the knowledge won't become extinct, with a rule that the can't use it for their own selfish deeds.

"Well, I won't say yes but I can't say no." Stefan smirks at Arthur.

"Human transmutation is forbidden, Stefan! Can't you remember how the horrid experienced from a failed human transmutation?! There's only a slight chance that it will succeed!" Arthur trembled under his breath. He cannot forget the experience he had when his late father brought him to see the product bodies from a failed human transmutation. 'They all roten. I could see flesh and the muscles attached to the bones...It's too terrifying for me when I saw it as a kid.' He whispered in his heart.

"So you know it as well. In that case why don't you join-."

"Like fucking hell we accept your offer!" Lovino shrieked.

"Over my dead body if you want me to join powers! I told you already! The life of the wizards nowadays are far different than our ancestors had in the past. We live peacefully and can play with the other children. Even in university, we are no different from the others. We are just like one of them, the citizens." fumed Arthur. Even Lukas and Vladimir can't accept the invitation from Stefan to join him.

"And what basis did you have? How can you be so sure that the rulers will care about us? Oh! I'm sorry. You're one of the rulers as well. Well, Arthur, for you, which one is important? The position you had or the community you have lived in since childhood?"

"Shit." Alfred murmured under his breath. So does Francis, who is surprised with Stefan's question. For the kings who had been born with silver and gold, they never thought about the community since it was just in the castle.

But for the Queens who are obviously from different kinds of backgrounds, this is quite a tough decision for them to make.

Even for Kiku. Being born into a low class daimyo family of samurais who are only the few families to support the Beilschmidts, was usually ousted by the community. At least, he can understand the pain that Arthur has been through, with the wizards still being outcast by the councillors.