CHAPTER TEN

CHAPTER TEN
The New Team Avatar

It was time to meet the new police chief, but Ami was nowhere to be found. Meaning, Tenzin and Korra had to leave without her. However, they didn't know that Ami had left earlier on, and was watching from the crowd, looking at a man with a bald spot on his head. 'A toupee could help with that.' Ami had thought as he took center stage, flicking a mic until it turned on. Already, he was looking incompetent. And Korra. Korra stood up there looking as beautiful as ever, but Ami quickly had to remind herself that it wouldn't work. Korra, like Hiroshi said, didn't need her.

"It was an honor serving under Chief Beifong for so many years, and I wish her a speedy recovery. It is with great humility that I take her place as the new chief of police." Ami felt like she was going to be sick at his words. For most of her life, her mother had been chief. "Republic City is facing a threat like none the world has ever seen. But, there is one man who has been effective against Amin's Revolution, and that's Councilman Tarrlok. That is why, for all matters involving the Equalists, I will report directly to him. The police department will lend any and all available resources to the councilman and his task force until we quell this insurgency."

Rubbing her temples, Ami turned around, trying to wrap her head around this. Tarrlok was in control of the Equalists and not Avatar Korra? Ami sighed, feeling members of the crowd begin to disperse before she herself left, heading to the ferry boats and to Air Temple Island. She decided to hang out with Jinora, reading about spirit guides to help Korra as a new Team Avatar formed without her. Korra was, of course, unhappy without Ami being present in the making of the New Team Avatar, but she made the decision to tell her later. Ami did, in fact, seem to have a lot on her plate.

However, the next morning, as Ami read the headlines. The things Hiroshi said to her felt more real. That she was worthless to the avatar and the new 'Team Avatar.' Jinora looked at her older sister with a frown. "I'm sure she has an explanation for this." The young girl said softly. She acted much older than her actual age. Unlike Meelo who acted annoyingly too close to his age.

A sigh escaped her lips as she stood up from the breakfast table. She wanted to leave before Korra, Asami, Mako, or Bolin came in. "No, it's okay, Jinora. Please don't make excuses for them. I'm catching up on the spirit guide boos we've been reading. I'll continue to try to help from the sidelines." She stated with a small smile on her lips before heading to her room. She laid on her bed, letting tears cascade down her face. Covering her face, she shook her head. She was not going to be useless.

Around noon, Ami heard a knock on her door before Korra entered. She knew it was Korra by the way she opened the door and the sound her footsteps. "The coolest thing happened! I finally made my own Team Avatar! Only thing is... My best friend wasn't there. You have to join, Ami." She grinned widely as she looked at the cover of the book that Ami as reading. She was hoping that Ami would be ecstatic about the offer, but frowned when she noticed that Ami made no move to put the book down.

"No, thank you." Ami dismissed, flipping the page of the book she was reading.

Korra looked confused, surprise on her face. She didn't expect Ami to say 'no.' Since she arrived at Republic City, they had done practically everything together. "But, you're my best friend. You're the Katara! I'm the Aang. I need you here with me. I need you by my side, Ami." And with that, she earned the sound of Ami's book being slammed closed as Ami sat up. Korra's eyes widened at the movements of Ami, looking at her in shock.

Breathing in, Ami had to collect the words she wanted to say. She didn't know how to express her feelings to Korra very well. Still, she was going to try. "Korra, Hiroshi said I was worthless. Soon enough, you're going to realize you don't need me. You have Asami. At least she can hold her own when fighting. I am useless! I can't help you or your team. I'm sorry, but without my bending, I'm nothing." Ami looked at her hands, cleanching them in fists. She was slightly surprised with Korra's hands took hers gently. She wasn't expecting Korra to stay after she admitted that she knew her worth.

Expect for the fact, Korra didn't agree. Korra looked at her with a gently smile. Leaning in, Korra kissed her softly. "Listen to me, okay? What Hiroshi said, was a lie. I need you more than ever. Please don't feel useless. I need your sense of strategy. Asami is great and everything but she isn't you. Plus, if I didn't tell you already, I'm going to find a way to get you your bending back. I promise you. I have never broken a promise before and I do not intend to start." Korra told her gently. She smiled when Ami gave in, blushing softly. Korra then leaned in again, kissing her deeply.

Ami kissed back, cupping Korra's cheeks. "Hey, wait, stop... I don't want to be just your best friend anymore. Korra, I-" Just then, Bolin, Mako, and Asami burst through door with lunch in tow causing Ami to quickly stop talking. "Oh, hey, everyone. It's been awhile." She blushed slightly, glancing away from them quickly.

Bolin narrowed his eyes, looking confused. "We saw you just yesterday...? Are you sick and just don't remember or something?" Catching the tension in the room, Mako shot his brother a look, making Bolin drop it.

"Korra was just asking me about Team Avatar." Ami said, causing everyone to look at her with excited grins. Sighing, she sat up on the bed, looking at everyone around her. "Until I learn how to be more useful and how to fight better hand to hand combat, I'm going to have to say no."

Korra frowned, but she understood. The five teens then ate together as the day went on. Eventually though, Korra and the new Team Avatar needed to leave in order to help better Republic City. Falling into her bed, Ami sighed. She almost asked Korra to be her girlfriend today. She had been so close to confessing. However, she wasn't able to. It's something she will regret for awhile, too, because that night, Korra was kidnapped.